No more Ozzie Guillen, guys. However, Marlins fans can expect former catcher, Mike Redmond to bring them some laughs. The guy is funny. He actually used to have Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” as his walk-up song. Amazing.
I actually met Mike once. It was right after the Marlins won the 2003 World Series. He was smoking a cigar with other players at a cigar shop on Calle 8. He’s a really cool guy and a hoot to have around. I mean, this is the guy who used to take batting practice indoors naked. (I promise that link has no pictures.)
I don’t know what to tell you about how I think Redmond would be as the Marlins’ manager. At least he has some experience managing, however it is in the single-A level. So….. yea. We shall see.
Some of you may have forgotten about good ole Mike. So, let’s get reacquainted with him, shall we?
- Mike’s full name is Michael Patrick Redmond.
- Mike has a twin brother named Patrick Michael. (Heh… I see what his parents did there.)
- Mike played college baseball with his brother at Gonzaga University.
- In 1998, Mike started playing in the MLB with the Marlins. He stayed a Marlin until 2004.
- Before retiring in 2010, Mike played with the Minnesota Twins and the Cleveland Indians.
- He caught for R.A. Dickey, so maybe he can help the Marlins know how to hit against the dang guy.