The first week of the season, has been, well, rough. I work very hard to find positives in any situation, because if don’t, I will go crazy. That being said, I do not have high expectations for this season, but there is good mixed in with the disastrous last week.
1) Mike Adams has looked really good. He was brought in to solidify the bullpen, and well, along with Jonathan Papelbon, the only relief pitcher that I trust.
2) Chase Utley has been hitting the ball hard to all parts of the field.
3) The hitters have been getting on base. Now, they haven’t been really able to get them to score, but baby steps…
4) There have been a fair amount of hard hit baseballs. Mind you, they have been hit directly to fielders, but you know, those are just details. I highly suggest that the Phillies STOP playing the way that I always played softball. Find a gap! Anyway, good things are bound to happen when contact is made…Eventually.
5) Chase Utley has been getting on base by walks, errors and hits. Once he is on the base path, he has opposing pitchers paying attention to him. Unfortunately, Ryan Howard has not really been able to take advantage of the distracted pitchers and hit one out of the ballpark.
6) The team hasn’t given up. Except for the home opener, the team has fought back in most of the games. They might have lost, but at least they aren’t rolling over. (The home opener was a different story.)
7) Philadelphia has really started to fall in love with Ben Revere. Revere is NOT bringing power that the Phillies need, but he really is fun to watch. If you have a Twitter account, follow him, @BenRevere9 you will not regret it. His defense is fantastic, now some offense is needed.
8) The biggest positive so far is Chase Utley. It has been 2 years since he has moved and played this well. It is beautiful to see.
The season is very young, but very disappointing so far. I going to live in my fantasy world that this is the worst that they are going to be all year.