Adams was instrumental in the founding and establishment of the AFL and was the founder of the Houston Oilers franchise in 1959, the same franchise that eventually became the Tennessee Titans after Adams moved the team in 1997.
He was longest-tenured owner in the league.
Bud Adams and Bum Philiips, who passed away at his Texas ranch on Friday, are two of the biggest football names to ever come out of the history of football in Houston.
Bucs running back Doug Martin to miss significant time with torn labrum
Tampa Bay Bucs RB Doug Martin has a torn labrum and will miss the remainder of the season, according to Albert Breer. It had been previously reported that Martin would miss several weeks or longer with the injury, and for what it’s worth, Bucs head coach Greg Schiano stated on Monday that the running back’s injury is not season-ending.
Mike James would be the starting running back in Tampa Bay in the absence of Martin, and the team added running back Bobby Rainey off waivers from Cleveland to add depth at the position.
Packers tight end Jermichael Finley in ICU following hit on Sunday
Packers tight end Jermichael Finley remains in ICU after suffering a serious neck injury (ESPN is calling it a “bruised spinal cord in his neck”) on Sunday. Finley was injured on a hit to the head from Browns safety Tashaun Gipson that left him motionless on the field for 6 minutes.
All tests have come back negative and Finley has regained movement, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, and Finley will remain in ICU while more tests are performed. Though he is not expected to require surgery, according to a league source, Finley’s evaluation will be an extensive process.
Packers head coach Mike McCarthy would not put a timetable on Finley’s return saying the injury is “something that needs to be seen by more than one doctor.”
Browns to trade Josh Gordon?
According to a tweet from ESPN’s Adam Schefter, “At least 3 teams have contacted Browns about deal for WR Josh Gordon; two have standing offers of a high pick and a player.”
Schefter added that the Browns so far are balking, and it’s worth noting that both Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski and CEO Joe Banner have publicly stated that they have no plans to trade Gordon.
The NFL trade deadline is October 29th.
- The Rams have confirmed that quarterback Sam Bradford has a torn ACL and will miss the rest of the season.
- Bears QB Jay Cutler has a muscle tear in his groin and will miss at least 4 weeks.
- Colts WR Reggie Wayne will miss the rest of the season with a torn ACL and a torn meniscus.
- Bears LB Lance Briggs will miss 4-6 weeks with a shoulder injury.
- Texans LB Brian Cushing has a broken fibula and a torn LCL. Cushing will have surgery in the next few days, but it is currently unknown if he will be able to return to the field in 2013.
- The Bengals have placed cornerback Leon Hall of season-ending Injured reserve after he tore his Achilles on Sunday.
- The Dolphins have traded for Ravens OL Bryant McKinnie.
- The NFL is expected to suspend Redskins S Brandon Meriweather for one to two games, per league source.
- Despite coach Rob Chudzinski suggesting that the Browns may consider a QB change, the team has announced that they will start Brandon Weeden at QB vs. the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.
Kristine Reese is the NFL editor for Aerys Sports. You can follow her on Twitter @KristineReese.