Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has put up three weeks’ worth of solid performances after returning from a two-week suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, but it may not be enough to keep him in Cleveland.
According to Adam Schefter, the Browns and the 49ers have discussed a trade for Gordon, though Schefter reports a deal is unlikely with Mario Manningham slated to come off the PUP list and Michael Crabtree expected to return in November.
NFL.com is reporting that these trade discussions have been going on despite Browns offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski’s text message to Gordon two weeks ago assuring him that he would not be traded.
The Browns reportedly would like a second-rounder for Gordon, a hefty price for a receiver one offense away from a long-term suspension.
Raiders release Matt Flynn
Matt Flynn was released by the Oakland Raiders, the team announced on Monday. The Raiders are working out David Carr and Pat White as they search for a suitable backup quarterback, per Ian Rapoport.
Flynn has earned a combined $14.5 million from the Seahawks and Raiders and played just one game. So, things could be worse.
Just in case you were wondering, a Packers-Flynn reunion seems unlikely.
Vikings officially announce Josh Freeman acquistion
After the Vikings acquisition of Josh Freeman was reported late Sunday night, the team officially announced the move on Monday in a conference call with the media. Vikings head coach Leslie Frasier said the team will not name Freeman the starter for Sunday, but that Freeman will get a chance to compete for the starting job. General manager Rick Spielman also called Ponder’s future “bright” and added that the Freeman move “did not reflect on Ponder as much as it represented a chance to add a talented player to the roster.”
Oddly enough, Freeman told USA Today’s Lindsay Jones that he picked Minnesota is because “they’ve got a guy” who is the starter.” Mmmkay.
- Packers LB Clay Matthews, who fractured his thumb in Sunday’s win over the Lions, had successful surgery on his thumb today, per Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer. He is expected to miss a month, per Adam Schefter.
- Michael Vick is expected to miss Sunday’s game vs. the Tampa Bay Bucs with a hamstring injury. Nick Foles will start in his absence.
- Falcons’ Tony Gonzalez passed Marvin Harrison for 6th place on NFL’s all-time receiving yards list in Monday night’s loss to the Jets.
- Things are so bad for Big Blue that even the local strippers won’t watch them play. According to OfficialGuyism.com, Rick’s Cabaret New York, a New York Strip Club, has blacked out New York Giants games because the Giants poor season is negatively effecting business.
- The NFL is planning to meet with the Indian tribe that is pushing for the Washington Redskins to officially change the team’s name.
Kristine Reese is the NFL editor for Aerys Sports. You can follow her on Twitter @KristineReese.