Urban Meyer was a highly desired commodity in the coaching world. So, what did it take for OSU to land him? Take a look for yourself as his full contract has been put out there for the entire world to see. He will be paid a total of $4.4mil per year, placing him third in the country behind Mack Brown and Nick Saban.
- His base salary is $700K per year. Yes, base.
- He got what was essentially a signing bonus of $250k
- There are retention bonuses totaling $2.4mil for 2014, 2016 and 2018.
- He will receive $50k for winning the B1G Leaders Division, $100k for winning the B1G Championship game (due to sanctions, this season the Buckeyes need to finish with the best regular-season record in the conference for Meyer to receive this bonus), $150k for a BCS bowl berth (can be achieved this season by being ranked between 3rd and 10th in the final BCS standings), and $250K for reaching the BCS National Championship Game (can be achieved this season if Ohio State finishes 1 or 2 in the final BCS standings).
- If Ohio State receives more major NCAA violations relating to Tatgate and associated fallout, Meyer would be able to leave. He would also receive $1.5mil for every year remaining on the contract.
- $1.4mil per year thanks to the Nike contract.
- Incentives for high cumulative GPAs on the team ($50K for 3.0, $100k for 3.3, $150k for 3.5).
- Required attendance for Coca-Cola at one event per year and $10k per year from Coke.
Basically, he got a sweet deal.