Speaking of injuries, I think I tweaked my own knee today while on my run this morning. Doctor’s orders: 400 mg Ibuprofen and lots of ice.
I’m half way through my training (9 weeks to go until the race) and this is where the mileage starts to really ramp up. I’m scheduled to run 15 miles on Saturday – the longest distance I’ve ever ran. That’s about three laps around Forest Park. One thing’s for sure: I have to be careful not to burn out mentally and wear out physically.
Rams training camp started its third week yesterday and they’ve already accumulated a number of boo boo’s. Mostly minor, some season ending, and some still unknown.
1) CB Jerome Murphy #23 probably has the most serious injury right now. A broken ankle. He’s having surgery today on it and will most likely land him on the IR.
Good luck to Murph (and his surgeons) as he goes under the knife. Wishing you a speedy recovery!
P. S. I’m not exactly sure where his fracture was and the extent of his injury but having broken my ankle almost 10 years ago I know how hard it can be to get back to normal after surgery. My ankle is still not quite right even after 2 metal plates and 14 screws later. Yep, it was a doozy!
2) WR Dominique Curry had surgery on his hand last week and is expected to miss several weeks as it heals. It’s competitive as it is without a set back like this. This could really hurt his chances in making the team.
3) The biggest news from yesterday was that LB James Laurinaitis left practice with an aggravated pectoral muscle. We’ll have a better idea today after he gets x-rays but Tony Softli thinks he just needs some rest. It’s the same type of injury JL suffered last season.
4) DB Chris Smith suffered the lone injury during the scrimmage on Sunday. He hurt his knee.
5) Mardy Gilyard left practice yesterday with eye issues. Per Spags:
I think Reggie said he’s having trouble seeing. Sometimes the sun, and I don’t know if it’s migraines or what it is, but that’s what he told me so that’s why I sent him in.
6) Players didn’t participate in Sunday’s scrimmage:
- Michael Hoomanawanui (TE) – concussion
- David Vobora (LB) – concussions
- Ron Bartell (CB) – thigh
- Jermelle Cudjo (DT) – lower back
- Fendi Onobun (TE) – groin and wide receivers
- Danario Alexander (WR) – swelling and fluid on knee)
- Greg Salas (WR) – hamstring
- Donnie Avery (WR) – hamstring
7) New players added: Jeremy McGee (CB) and Demarco Cosby (TE) per Spags from his post-practice press conference:
I think the two guys you would have seen out there new, (CB) Jeremy McGee at corner for us and (TE) Demarco Cosby at tight end. Other than I think most of the injuries were about the same.
8) FA LB Ben Leber (Former Viking) and the Rams have agreed on a one-year contract and is visiting Rams Park today to go through physicals. Great acquisition in light of Laurinaitis’ injury.
9) Spags says he likes what he’s seeing from WR Danny Amendola (“He’s sparked things.”), second round pick, TE Lance Kendricks. (“He’s been pretty solid so far.”) And WR Austin Pettis, (“He’s done a pretty good job.”)
10) Spags and the coaches are not sure how much playing time for the 1′s (projected starters). Tony Softli believes they’ll play at least one quarter and maybe even a series or two into the second quarter.
The Rams haven’t released a depth chart yet. Should be very interesting when that comes out.