“Sunday morning rain is fallin’.” Â Yes, I know it’s Monday but it’s very appropriate for what it looks out this morning. Â There’s never anything wrong about starting out the day with a little Maroon 5. Â Don’t you agree?
The equivalent of Christmas weekend for the NFL season has just wrapped up. Â Did everyone get the goodies they wanted? Â Now that we’ve opened all the presents that the Draft Santa brought let’s take a look at the highlights. Â These are my thoughts, part 1:
- Rams were lucky to have grabbed at top 10 talent in Robert Quinn at 14. Â He was probably the biggest gift the Rams got this weekend. Â Let’s just hope that he’s able to get back to full football mode to make a difference this season.
- I’m slowly getting on the Kendricks’ band wagon but still think he would have been on the board in round 3. Â So many other players could have been taken at 47. Â RB Mikel LeShoure and WR Torry Smith just to name a couple.
- It really bothered me that Cam Newton was cool and collected when his name was called at the number 1 pick overall. Â As if it was foregone conclusion. Â He had expected it all along and was taking his rightful place.
- The previous observation about Cam Newton was even more exaggerated when Von Miller was so overcome with emotion that he had to have a moment before he got up from the table. Â You could tell being drafted really meant the world to him. Â He even gave Roger Goodell a big ole bear hug.
- The first 5 picks went pretty much as planned but at number 6 we got a doozy! Â I understand the reasoning why Atlanta would want to move up for Julio Jones. Â They must have wanted that “last piece to the championship puzzle.” Â But to give up 4 extra picks? Â WOW! Â Gutsy, gutsy move by GM Thomas Dimitroff and head coach Mike Smith.
- Now we can clearly see the effects of what the lack of free agency has done: Â The desperate run on all the mediocre QB’s in the 1st round. Â Jake Locker at #8 to TEN was probably the biggest shocker. Â Then MIN @ 12 took Christian Ponder. Â 2nd round talent taken in the 1st round due to need. Â So much for the “take the best available player” mantra.
- What a great player the Cardinals got with #5. Â Patrick Peterson. Â Now there’s a team what went with the best available.
- Nick Fairley to the Lions. Â That’s gonna be a scary D-line next season. Â Cutler, Stafford and Christian Ponder need to take some extra disability insurance just in case.
- News of Bin Laden’s death came swiftly last night as I was getting the kids to bed. Â Although I was greatly relieved when I heard the news I can’t say that I was joyous about another person death, even someone as dreadful as he was. Â I do hope this gives the victims families some much needed closure though. Â I couldn’t help but to think about former Cardinal Pat Tillman. Â I send out my gratitude and thanks to all those who have and continue to serve our great country.