We’re more than a month into the NFL season and from the looks of all the records, there are a lot of close divisions. For example in the AFC East, the Patriots are 3-2, while the other three teams are 2-3 in the division. If that’s not enough, all four NFC West teams are over .500. It makes things very hard to choose teams that aren’t playing up to par. Thankfully though, we do have the top five.
Only two teams won’t be on this weeks list, that were part of it last week. The Saints won and the Lions had a bye week (hey they didn’t lose!)
Here we go though:
1. Cleveland Browns (0-5 record)- The Browns were able to get out to an early lead against the New York Giants, but they soon lost it and weren’t able to recover. The Browns face off against Cincy in the Paul Brown Bowl. Maybe they get the win, maybe they don’t! Cleveland has Indianapolis, San Diego and Baltimore in the weeks following, so keep that in mind.
2. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4 record)- It wasn’t exactly all kinds of fun for Jacksonville as they were blown out by Chicago last Sunday. It hasn’t been sunny times in Jacksonville. The Jags have the worst scoring offense in the NFL, averaging 13 points per game. Blaine Gabbert, or Blaine Garrett as some people call him *COUGH MOOSE COUGH*, hasn’t had that great of a season. Gabbert was picked off twice and passed for 142 yards in the loss to the Bears. If that’s not enough, Gabbert has been sacked 15 times this season, tied for third most in the NFL. There is good news for the Jags as they have a bye week this week. I’m pretty sure they won’t lose during the bye week.
3. Kansas City Chiefs (1-4 record)- It hasn’t been a fun season for Kansas City. From the Cassel injury comments to that banner flying over Arrowhead Stadium before the game, the Chiefs are falling apart in an AFC West that doesn’t appear to be very strong. Kansas City has one more game before the bye week. Maybe they can get that win, otherwise it will be a long couple of weeks in KC.
4. Carolina Panthers (1-4 record)- This is the first of two new teams in the rankings for this week. Thankfully for the Panthers, they have a bye this week so they won’t be on the list next week. The bye comes at a good time as Carolina has lost three straight since losing to New Orleans. The most recent loss was to Seattle on Sunday. The sophomore season for Cam Newton has not gone according to plan. Questions about Newton and his ability have popped up in recent weeks. It has gotten to the point where one SI writer has compared Newton’s early career to that of Vince Young’s. I know it is his second season, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. Newton’s a young. Give him time to grow!
5. Tennessee Titans (1-4 record)- Tennessee is the other new team on the list for this week. The Titans have lost two straight and face a tough task against Pittsburgh Thursday night. All four of the losses this season have been by double-digit points. With no Jake Locker for at least another week, the Titans will try to ramble on … or something!
Maybe you agree with the rankings, maybe you don’t! Either way, it is still early in the season. Things can certainly change by this time next month.
Follow Romo on Twitter, @Oh_No_Romo