With SO much going on in the past few days in Jets-land, it’s been difficult to sort out what is actually important, relevant football news, and what is sensationalist nonsense. Here’s your one stop shop for the top headlines:
- The team released the first preseason depth chart on Tuesday night. You can view the initial offensive, defensive and special teams depth charts on NewYorkJets.com.
- The Jets waived RB John Griffin and claimed RB Jeremy Stewart (Stanford) off waivers from Philadelphia. Griffin performed very well in minicamp, but an injury kept him from getting the reps to stay on the team.
- The team added three WRs after waiving Scotty McKnight and DaMarcus Ganaway Monday night, signing Wes Kemp (Missouri), Stanley Arukewe (Troy) and Joseph Collins (Weber State). Think it’s safe to say these guys are just more camp bodies. (Kemp was signed last Thursday, and I either missed it or it was reported well after the fact. Apologies for missing this detail).
- WR Santonio Holmes, who is recovering from a rib injury, WILL Sit Out of the oreseason opener vs. Cincinnati, per Rich Cimini. WR Jeremey Kerley will also sit out of the game.
- NT Sione Pouha and RT Wanye Hunter also will not play on Friday night. They will be replaced by Kenrick Ellis and Austin Howard.
- In his press conference on Wednesday, Rex Ryan revealed that Matt Slauson will retain the left guard job over Vlad Ducasse. As for what will become of Vlad? It remains to be seen exactly where he will play – and how much – but Rex assured the media “he will play.”
- Yes, it’s true. Tim Tebow had his best day of practice today, going 7-for-11, 1 TD, 1 sack. The “big” headline is that Tebow took 2 snaps for the first team offense, and one of them was for a touchdown, (60 yard bomb to Turner). It also so happened to be against the same defensive package Tebow saw in the Thursday night game in Denver game last season. Yes, all very interesting and stuff, but let’s not forget that EVERY back-up quarterback gets a few snaps for the first team in camp. (BTW, Sanchez went 6-for-11, 1 INT).
- C Nick Mangold returned to practice today, and boy what a difference a Pro Bowl center makes. With Mangold back, the line, and consequently, the offense, played MUCH better (OBVI). The Jets spent the 1st team period in practice to third-and-long/blitz, and Rex later called it the “best blitz pickup performance in his three-plus seasons as the coach.”
- In his presser today, Rex revelaed that his starters will play at least 1 quarter on Friday, with defensive starters limited to about 15 snaps. (More on the Jets “game plan” for Cincy tomorrow). Because the offense is installing a new system, he will play them more than they normally would in the first preseason game. Rex added that he “doubts” Tebow will get any first team reps in Friday’s game but that he could play 2 quarters against the Bengals on Friday night.
- Darrelle Revis missed some practice time on Tuesday with back stiffness. He practiced fully on Wednesday.
- OH, BTW — Things are fine between Dustin Keller and Antonio Cromartie after yesterday’s incident. Time to move on from Monday and Tuesday’s drama, the gassers and the subsequent team movie date.
A brief preview for the preseason opener vs. the Cincinnati Bengals will be posted tomorrow.