The story from camp today – the first day of padded practice - is that the defense once again outplayed the offense.
Here a few of the other key notes coming from today’s practice:
1. More praise for OLB Aaron Maybin, who apparently went “100 mph” in practice today. In fact, Maybin put out enough effort to require an IV following practice.
Maybin appears to be the star of Cortland thus far, after two really good days of practice for all eyes to see.
One more interesting note on Maybin is that he has spent some time playing special teams. Apparently the team would really like him involved.
2. CB Darrelle Revis sat out of team drills today due to “tightness” in his right hamstring.
Revis explained that the team trainers wouldn’t let him practice and that the situation would be same if we were in season. He said he “wasn’t concerned” and that “he’s just being cautious.” Rex supported Revis, calling the injury minor and explaining that the team is being cautious in light of Revis’ past hamstring injuries. He added that if it were a game, Revis would play.
Revis did add that his hamstring injury was not a veiled attempt at a holdout. You will see plenty of stories insinuating otherwise, and if this goes on for a prolonged period of time, I’ll allow people to suggest he’s playing at being injured. For now, I really think there’s nothing to see here.
3. Rex called out DT Damon Harrison and OT Austin Howard as two players that stood out in the team’s first padded practice.
4. The first 22 snaps of team drills for the offense were run plays. No surprise there, as the team has re-committed to Ground and Pound. Of the offensive style, Rex said, “This is who were are, we are going to run it & run it and find a way to move the football. ”
According to Rex, RB JoeMcKnight and RB Shonn Greene had several “nice runs” for 5-6 yards, and RB Bilal Powell, who many felt was falling off the radar, is “showing up.: I’ve heard glowing reports about Powell from a number of people who attended practice, including former NFL scout Connie Carberg. Powell got reps with the first team today, which is highly encouraging.
5. Both QB Mark Sanchez and a Tim Tebow had not-so great days, going 1-for-7 in full team drills. Reports indicate that some drops by receivers effected Sanchez’s stats, and Tebow continued to struggle on short to intermediate throws.
FWIW, McElroy also reportedly “struggled.”
Obviously, WR Jeremy Kerley did not participate today bc of his hamstring injury. He is expected to be out one week.