The New York media, Twitter and consequently, the Jets fan base got an sneak preview of the team today as the first week of Organized Team Activities concluded with an open practice. If you weren’t around to follow the action on Twitter you’ve come to the right place, as I have compiled all the
Tebow updates relevant information here.
Before I begin, I just want to remind everyone that we are talking about OTAs. This isn’t training camp. So, please limit the overreactions.
Also, quick FYI: Antonio Cromartie, Santonio Holmes and Laron Landry were all absent today. Both Cromartie and Landry were with family (see below for more on Landry) and Holmes is in Germany supporting the troops. All absences were approved. Oh and by the way, OTAs are voluntary. (Just saying). Mandatory minicamp is June 24-26.
- Obviously, the subject on the minds of everyone is how things looked at the quarterback position. By all accounts, QB Mark Sanchez had an excellent first week. Rex Ryan explained that Sanchez is stronger and healthier and he’s really “zipping it.” He also completed an impressive deep pass to Stephen Hill (more on that in a second). Who said he couldn’t throw deep?
- Much is being made of Tim Tebow‘s two interceptions thanks to the play-by-play tweeting from Jets beat reporters. Yes, Tebow did not look as good throwing the ball as Mark Sanchez but I mean, come on, folks. We already knew that Sanchez was a better passer than Tebow, right? Furthermore, it’s MAY and the first week of OTAs. Moving on.
- Rookie WR Stephen Hill opened OTAs as the starter opposite Santonio Holmes. The team plans to use him in a role similar to Braylon Edwards. Hill closed out the week with a great day, burning Kyle Wilson and catching a 75-yard TD from Sanchez.
- S LaRon Landry was absent today (and was all week). Darrelle Revis told the media the team was informed it was due to “family reasons.” We all know Landry is still recovering from his injury, so regardless of the reason, I wouldn’t expect him to be too involved in practice for a while.
- S Yeremiah Bell impressed in his debut for the media, picking off our good friend Tim Tebow. He also told the media that he sees himself as a “playmaker.” He also added that E-Smitty is his guy and “has been a great help for me.”
- LB Bart Scott was responsible for the other Tebow INT. Scott told the media he expects to be on the field more this year and that he and Rex are ‘cool’ since their meeting this spring. In his presser today, Rex told the media, “Bart’s ready to be Bart Scott.” Can’t wait. (I HAD TO!)
- LB David Harris sat out workouts because of a minor calf strain. All signs point to it being no big deal.
- LB Bryan Thomas, who is still recovering from his Achilles injury, was spotted working out on the sideline today but he obviously did not participate in drills.
- DE Muhammed Wilkerson received a ton of praise from Rex today.
- Tim Tebow took reps as punt protector
- Kicker Josh Brown went 5 for 6 in FG attempts today while Nick Folk did not have any attempts.
- Former Redskins LB Rocky McIntosh recently visited the Jets. McIntosh also recently met with the Vikings.
- LB Eddie Jones and safety DeAngelo Smith went unclaimed on waivers.
- Jason LaCanfora suggested on his Twitter that Vikings TE Visanthe Shiancoe would be a good fit with the Jets or the Cowboys. I have not seen any other reports suggesting the Jets were interested, leading me to believe this is LaCanfora’s opinion more than anything else. He later tweeted that the Jets were “checking in” on Shiancoe.