I am cursed. I will adore and cheer on the Houston Astros even in a season like this one. Even in a season like the one they’re sure to have in 2013, I cannot turn away. I don’t know if it’s a masochistic tendency or some bizarre sense of loyalty that my Italian heritage has instilled in me, but it’s annoying as hell this year.
Since I can’t just cheer for another team, I’ve taken to trying to find the upside. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I am not enjoying the world’s most ridiculous losing streaks. I am not enjoying watching guys who just aren’t cooked enough to be in the majors play against men who truly belong at this level. I am not enjoying any of that.
But, like the players have got to be feeling, I can’t wallow in the horror, shame and misery every single day. It’s not good for my sleep patterns, if nothing else.
So what’s the upside of the 2012? I have a few…here you go:
- The Astros are almost assured a #1 draft pick for 2013.
- Odds are good that the train is leaving Minute Maid Park (I’m guessing based on the giant dumb ass sign blocking it).
- A true rebuilding, well, deconstruction so far, is underway.
- The minor league teams have been kicking ass and taking names. To follow along, make sure you’re reading What the Heck, Bobby.
- Kevin Goldstein. Yes, he gets his own bullet – ask the people who were with me when I found out about this hiring. I was a teensy bit excited.
- The new previous at bat graphic on El Grande.
- Lucas Harrell. Certainly you don’t need an explanation for that, right?
- Bud Norris. Again, please refer to his best-in-the-NL home ERA of 1.90.
- Brett Wallace it seems, really CAN hit against lefties. Mystery solved. #BrettWallaceIsFree
- Zachary Levine’s twitter account. If you haven’t been paying attention, this painful season has brought out his funny.
- There will be baseball during the offseason, well, baseball stuff. The Astros need a new Manager after all. Look for any announcement of a new hiring to take place in the middle of the night. The front office is made up of Vampires, I swear.
- Every now and then, when the Astros do win? It’s like they just won the World Series!
So there you have it. The straws I am grasping in order to maintain my fandom sanity. What’s keeping your chin up and your blood alcohol level from getting too high?
Terri Schlather (AGirlintheSouth) is the tortured Senior Houston Astros Writer for Aerys Sports. You can email her at email@example.com, or follow her ridiculous ramblings on sports, vodka and the weeone on twitter @agirlinthesouth.