The Capitals have had a rough start to their season. With a new head coach in Adam Oates (straight off the Devils coaching bench), a brand new system to get used to, and almost getting blanked last night at home by the Montreal Canadiens, the Caps are struggling. Facing up against a solid looking Devils team tonight, they’re going to have a difficult time.
Notes for the Devils roster:
* The two top lines have been adjusted. New lines are: Tedenby-Zajac-Kovalchuk and Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson. Barch is in for Janssen on the fourth line. D lines are the same.
* A reminder that a decision has to be made for Stefan Matteau soon enough. Tonight will be his third game on the big stage out of the allowed five before the first year of his entry-year contract is burned up, and Lamoriello and DeBoer need to decide if he’s worth keeping on the roster. So far, Matteau has impressed as a kid thrown rather suddenly on to NHL ice. After getting cut from the National Juniors team, Matteau has something to prove.
* Adam Henrique skated with the team this morning and is nearing a return from his thumb injury. He could be back by the Jan 31st homestead against the Islanders.
* Sorry for the lack of recap for the last game against the Flyers, but let me mention again that Martin Brodeur decidedly earned his 120th career shutout win.
* Brodeur will be in goal for the Devils tonight. Michal Neuvirth is in for the Caps.