The New Jersey Devils will be taking the ice at Bell Centre this evening, hopeful to expand their winning streak to four straight games. The odds are pretty good – the Devils have won their last eight bouts against the Habs, with the last Montreal victory in 2008.
* No morning skate for either team today.
* Cool fact: Ever sturdy Patrik Elias is 3 points away from hitting 900 career points.
* An excellent read about Martin Brodeur’s father, Denis Brodeur, who has fought through two recent and difficult surgeries. He will be watching the game from home.
* Something to watch for: Stefan Matteau. In the last practice, Matteau was moved up to the top line with Travis Zajac and Ilya Kovachuk, with Mattias Tedenby dropping to the fourth. Peter DeBoer has been impressed with Matteau over the past three games, but a decision soon needs to be made about the rookie’s development. Matteau is closer to the top of the roster in SOG; a place on the first line may very well help him earn his first NHL goal.
* Sibling rivalry: Brothers Stephen and Brian Gionta face off today. Stephen Gionta netted the Devils’ first goal in their victory over the Capitals on Friday.
“I hear they’ve got a pretty good kid in there as their third line centre, no. 11,” Brian said about his younger brother. “I think he’s pretty much been carrying the load for [Zach] Parise.”
* Brodeur will start in net. Carey Price will be in the cage for the Canadiens.
The puck drops at 6PM! Tune in on MSG Plus/RDS.