Week 2 of the 2013 season officially kicked off on Thursday (in an ugly battle between the Patriots and the Jets) and resumes today with a full schedule of games. Here’s the latest news heading into the bulk of week 2′s action.
Vick Ballard to Miss Rest of Season with Torn ACL
Colts RB Vick Ballard will miss the remainder of the 2013 season after tearing his ACL in practice on Thursday, the team announced on Saturday. According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Ballard’s injury is being called a “freak knee injury” that occurred on a non-contact play.
Ballard has officially been placed on injured reserve.
Actives/Inactives are officially announced approximately one hour prior to kickoff so stay tuned for updates.
The status of following players are on high on NFL fans’ radars, some due to their significance to their respective teams, others for fantasy football reasons.
- Chiefs- Cowboys: Chiefs CB Dunta Robinson is 50-50 to play in Sunday’s game vs. Dallas after he left the team to be with his cousin, who was in a car accident and is currently hospitalized. Robinson is listed as questionable. Robinson’s teammate, RB Jamaal Charles(quad) is expected to play. Cowboys WR Dez Bryant is questionable, but is expected to play. Tony Romo will also play, despite a rib injury suffered in last Sunday night’s game vs. Giants. DE Anthony Spencer (knee) is questionable.
- Cardinals – Lions: WR Larry Fitzgerald (hamstring) is listed as questionable while Cards TE Rob Housler is OUT. Lions RB Reggie Bush (finger, groin, knee) is probable and WILL play. UPDATE: Fitzgerald is a game time decision.
- Falcons- Rams: Falcons WR Roddy White (ankle) is expected to play on Sunday vs. the Rams, but it is unknown how much of a role he will play outside of being a “decoy.” WR Julio Jones is listed as questionable and the status of his injury is not known. CB Asante Samuel (thigh injury) is still questionable after missing week 1. UPDATE: Both Falcons WR are playing, per Ian Rapoport.
- Panthers – Bills: Bills CB Stephon Gilmore and safety Jarius Byrd are both doubtful and expected to be inactive for the second week in a row.
- Ravens – Browns: Ravens RT Michael Oher is expected to play after suffering an injury in the season opener in Denver. WR Jacoby Jones is OUT.
- Colts – Dolphins: Colts TE Dwayne Allen (hip) has been downgraded to doubtful and is not expected to play. (Coby Fleener is a huge sleeper for this week in fantasy). Both of the Dolphins rookie CBs, Will Davis (toe) and Jamar Taylor (groin) are both out.
- Vikings – Bears: Vikings Pro Bowl DT Kevin Williams is expected to return to the field.
- Jags- Raiders: Jags QB Blaine Gabbert (hand) is out; Chad Henne will start. TE Mercedes Lewis is also out.
- Saints- Bucs: The Saints could potentially be without five defensive starters on Sunday, including tackle Broderick Bunkley, who is listed as doubtful and safety Roman Harper, listed as questionable. Bucs guard Carl Nicks is questionable (MRSA incident) and hopes to play.
- Chargers – Eagles: Manti Te’o will not play. (*insert creative somewhat distasteful joke here*)
- Packers – Redskins: Packers TE Jermichael Finley has been upgraded to probable and is expected to play.
- Texans – Tennessee: Texans safety Ed Reed (hip) will be a game time decision but sources expect him to give it a go.
- 49ers – Seahawks: DE Cliff Avril is expected to play and make his Seahawks debut.
- Broncos – Giants: CB Champ Bailey is expected to be out for Sunday night’s game. Giants CB Prince Amukamara and safety Antrel Rolle will both play.
- The Jets have placed QB Mark Sanchez on injured reserve/ designated to return, the team announced Saturday. Sanchez will be eligible to return in 8 weeks, practice in 6.
- Rob Gronkowski could return to the field in week 3.
- The Washington Redskins have signed kicker John Potter as insurance for injured kicker Kai Forbath.
Kristine Reese is the NFL editor for Aerys Sports. You can follow her on Twitter @KristineReese.