Prior to the game, the Blue Jackets announced they have signed Boston College junior Cam Atkinson to an entry level contract. He’s scheduled to join Springfield after three years at BC, where he amassed 124 points in 117 games.
According to @BlueJacketsNHL:
Starters: Calvert-Brassard-Nash; Methot-Tyutin; Garon
Scratches: Stralman, Clitsome, Murray, Moreau, Clark.
- Interesting to see Calvert on the top line. It has potential to be potent.
- Really wishing this game was in High Def. Sigh.
- Looks like Voracek is on a line with Umberger and Vermette. I think that has theÂ potential to be even more frustrating.
- Hejda-Lepisto & Russell-Rivet are the other two defense pairs.
- The Jackets are 0 for their last 28 on the PP? Uh… LOL.
- Well, that power play is a good example of why. Not much on net.
- They are NOT looking good today … sigh.
- Way to go, Canucks defense, breaking each other while trying to smash Nash.
- Nice little flurry of shots on Schneider there, probably their best chance yet, six-plus into the game.
- Yes. Voracek and Vermette are trying to be the same sloppy person, this is going to be bad.
- What a terrible goal to give up. Ehroff barely got anything on that. Garon just couldn’t corral it.
- I hate when our defensemen get the puck on net and the forwards can’t do anything with the rebound. Epidemic. The forwards aren’t getting it on net, either, they should take advantage of the D putting it on…
- “Streaky” is the new black, I guess, because it’s their excuse for ineptitude.
- Annnnd Upshall just clotheslined himself on the crossbar.
- Clusterfuck Mode, commence…
- Brass fell like, waaaaay after he got hit in the skates, I guess there’s no time limit on exaggerating the fall?
- End of the first, 1-0 Vancouver. Jackets lead shots 13-7. That’s more than they had in an entire game against New Jersey. Improvement, but very little were quality.
- Fresh off of @LoriSchmidt’s twitter feed: Both Edmonton Journal & St. Paul Pioneer Press say today that Ken Hitchcock will get serious consideration if Wild make coaching change.
- Here we go. Here’s hoping that they woke up in the intermission.
- Forward momentum in the first minute! Oh, they’re on the PP.
- I forgot Mayorov was even in this game…
- Another bit of a scramble of shots about 4:30 in, but nothing quality.
- Dorsett with a chance but just doesn’t go in, ~7:00.
- I don’t know why there is so much hubbub about Arniel’s “system” because there is no system. This is sloppy peewee hockey where everybody’s going their own direction. There is no method to this madness.
- Bill Davidge says they’re “outworking” Vancouver, I don’t know about that. More possession, but they’re skating in circles with it. Shots are 21-9 CBJ, though.
- Mayorov blows a fabulous chance to knot the game on a Boll pass. Go, fourth line, go!
- Methot pulled a Buckner on the blueline. Rawk on.
- They got some momentum there at the end, but the score is still 1-0 Vancouver. Shots are 24-12 in favor of Columbus.
- The Jackets have come out of the gate roaring so far this period. Let’s see if they can capitalize.
- Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. Marc Methot just played defense on a breakaway without having to take a penalty. Keep this kid, damn.
- Huge, glaring error on the PK and it’s 2-0 Vancouver. Tyutin and Methot both chased the play into the corner and left everything open out in front of Garon…
- Are the Canucks taking lazy penalties or do the referees feel sorry for Columbus?
- Please score on this two-man advantage. Please. Please?
- … withÂ a cherry on top?
- Okay, orÂ not.
- MacKenzie and Upshall combined for a little somethin’ somethin’ but no deal. Schneider’s not lettingÂ them get a softie tonight.
- 3-0 as Kesler and Higgins take advantage of a very slow and hesitant Fedor Tyutin and Scottie Upshall.
- Apparently they wanted to make a liar of me. Umberger banks one off of the crossbar, then Schneider, and it goes in to break the 4,239,111 year-long home goalless streak. WOO! (183 minutes, 41 secondsÂ of time shut out at home, toÂ be exact, according to the Dispatch’s Tom Reed.)
- But it’s still 3-1 with 8:44 to go.
- First shift after the goal and they’re flying.
- A few cheapie punches by Ballard on Vermette who has assumed the position…
- Welp, 4-1 Caucks. Russell gets turned around and Higgins is all alone to drop it in a half-empty net for a PPG.
- 4-1 Final. Jackets had 40 shots on goal. 25 shots blocked. 9 missed. 29 hits. They beat the Canucks except where it counted.