As the crazy world of social media continues to evolve, breaking news can be found on Twitter long before it ever gets published on well-known sports websites like ESPN.com and NFL.com. For the Pittsburgh Steelers fan who needs to know what’s happening before ESPN AFC North blogger Jamison Hemsley figures it out, here are the twitter accounts you need to add to your timeline:
- @SteelersDepot — Dave Bryan, an independent blogger who watches game tape obsessively, has access to reliable sources, and understands the salary cap almost as well as Omar Khan (Steelers Director of Football and Business Administration, aka salary cap jedi). Plus the bonus of sarcastic humor. His website is www.steelersdepot.com.
- @DavidMTodd — aka Hammerspeaks, a radio host on 970 ESPN in Pittsburgh. He and Dave Bryan (see above) also do a podcast which is informative and entertaining. His website is www.thehammerspeaks.com.
- MarkKaboly_Trib — Steelers writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Attends training camp and all practices open to the media, good source for reliable player updates.
- @EdBouchette — writer for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Links to some articles require a paid membership to PG+.
- @Ken_Laird — Pittsburgh Tribune Review talk show host and reporter.
- @ScottBrown_Trib — beat writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- @ARobinson_Trib — beat writer for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
- @mikebires — primary beat writer covering the Steelers for the Beaver County Times.
Sulia is a new way to track tweeters on a specific topic. This website groups them by topics, so you can find multiple twitter accounts that post on a single “channel”. Go to www.sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers, and you can sign in with your twitter or facebook account.
Of course, you can follow the Steelers players as well…but Coach Tomlin probably won’t let them tell you much.
Know any other good sources for Steelers updates? Let me know!