And so, the preseason comes to a close. The Steelers beat the Panthers in the final preseason game. With roster spots on the line, the Steelers’ defense really stepped up. The defense once again won the turnover battle with a recovered fumble and an interception. They also put plenty of pressure on the Carolina quarterbacks and had four sacks on the evening.
On the other side of the ball, the offense was not nearly as impressive. In four trips to the red zone, they only managed to score two touchdowns. Granted, they were able to put points on the board through field goals, but the missed opportunities were there. Fumbles also appeared to be an issue. On the plus side, Mike Wallace managed to get a reception and Emmanuel Sanders played for the first time this preseason. Jonathan Dwyer was very impressive with 88 rushing yards, including a 50-yard touchdown run.
In the end, it was Steelers 33, Panthers 17. Ravens Week: The Extended Edition begins NOW.
- Jonathan Dwyer: 13 attempts, 88 yards, one touchdown
- Four sacks from the defense.
- Emmanuel Sanders returns and has 4 receptions for 60 yards.
- The kicking game seemed really strong tonight.
- No injuries.
- The Panthers had over 300 passing yards.
- The Steelers were only 2 for 4 in the red zone.
- Dennis Dixon didn’t seem all that sharp. Granted, I was only able to “watch” the game through stat updates, so there may be more to his line of 11/22, 157 yards, 1 TD.
- Fumbles. Hold on to the rock, guys.