Nothing formal, just a few observations from today’s 3 on 3 action:
Love the way Andrey Vasilevskiy plays. He doesn’t rely on his size to make saves – he still fights to see through traffic and get in position. His size was on display on a few cross-crease pad saves that drew applause from the crowd.
- Slater Koekkoek plays for keeps. He was competing very hard and appeared more dialed in than a lot of his fellow campers. He also threw a big hit on defenseman Luke Witkowski.
- Andrej Sustr has a good skill set to go along with his 6′ 8″ frame. I don’t think he’ll get a contract this summer, but he could be a March signing with a contract starting in 2013-14.
- Danick Gauthier can snipe. The free agent signing was a 40 goal scorer in the QMJHL last season and he could be another surprise impact player in the AHL ala Tyler Johnson last year.
- Vladislav Namestnikov’s speed was impressive despite only playing on half of the ice surface. He needs to get shots off quicker, but that will come in Syracuse.
- Jake Dotchin didn’t impress me very much. The 5th round pick from this past draft was considered a project and I certainly agree with that.