When it comes to trade rumors, you don’t have to look very hard no matter which team is your team. And, for most teams, they ebb and flow and sometimes the rumor mill is quiet and other times, you can’t walk five steps without tripping over four or five rumors.
For the Diamondbacks, there’s been a slight resurgence in rumors this week.
Here’s what we know:
- Miguel Montero would like to stay a Diamondback.
- Miguel Montero and the team halted discussions of an extension until the end of the season, which would make him a free agent for 2013.
- The Dbacks are a small market team with big market dreams and went over their projected payroll this year and are hoping that the people who hopped on the badwagon last year stick around to support it.
- Yadier Molina just signed a pretty hefty, long-term deal that may become a bargaining chip in Montero’s free agency.
- There’s a general lack of catching depth in the Dbacks’ organization. (And, frankly, in terms of prospects, the prospects are very heavily weighted towards pitching, pitching and more pitching.)
- If something happens to Miguel Montero this season (dear heavens find some wood to knock on, y’all), then the Diamondbacks are more-or-less without an everyday catcher. And, if he’s gone at the end of the season, there’s a bit of a hole there for 2013.
So, when trade rumors that the Diamondbacks could be interested in Toronto Blue Jays catcher JP Arencibia, it does give reason for pause.
And, what are blogs for, if not to speculate?