I’ve decided on losing nights – especially in the middle of a 5 game losing streak – I’m going to do 3 things. Because, baseball is supposed to be fun, and dwelling on the negative doesn’t make baseball very much fun at all. So, here we go. On losing nights, I’m going to:
- Limit the number of negative things I say to 3 or less.
- The team was 0-for4 with runners in scoring position.
- Team batting line: 2 runs on 5 hits; 1 walk and 13 strikeouts (including 6 consecutive to end the game)
- Essentially, the offense is still lacking an identity at the moment.
- Miguel Montero caught Michael Bourne stealing – raising his caught stealing percentage to 44% on the young season.
- Even though he got saddled with the loss today, Joe Saunders pitched a very solid game once he settled down. It was a quality start: 7.0 innings, 6H, 3R(2ER), 1BB and 5K. Four of his 6 hits and his only walk came in the first 2 innings. Unfortunately, the three runs that crossed the plate in the first three innings turned out to be an insurmountable challenge. He’s now 1-1 on the season with a 1.29 ERA on the season and Diamondbacks fans should be very happy that he took a hometown discount to play for the Diamondbacks in 2012.
- David Hernandez: 3 batters face, 3 strikeouts. He was dazzling.
- Justin Upton was back in the lineup and he looked good. He went 1-for-4 and we hope that he still feels okay tomorrow morning.
- Jason Kubel has definitely started looking more comfortable at the plate. In the last 7 days, he’s hitting .313, with 3BB, 6H (a 2B and a HR), and 3RBI. Welcome to Arizona, Mr. Kubel.
Score: 3-2, Diamondbacks lose (more one run games!); Record 7-8.
Conclusion: The rough patch continues. Hopefully the boys get off the skid soon. The season’s still very young and there’s a lot of time left, but baseball is more fun when there’s winning.
I am accepting any and all suggestions for future youtube videos to post during future loss posts. Hit me up here in the comments or via twitter (@mlbfangirl).
And, in case you missed it earlier, there’s a poll in the sidebar. Click HERE to read the post and cast your vote!