Monday marked the Vikings third day of practice, but the first practice with pads. Below are some highlights from those in Mankato covering training camp.
- DB Nick Taylor tore labrum — out 3-4 months due to surgery
- WR Stephen Burton was removed from the non-football list, but was unable to participate in contact drills due to new CBA rules. During install portion of practice, Burton got some reps with the first team.
- RB Adrian Peterson was rushed to the hospital following an allergic reaction to seafood — Adrian Peterson will continue his rehab program on Tuesday
“Everything is back to normal now,” Frazier said. “Little bit of a scare, but he’s fine.”
- TE Mickey Shuler will be able to begin practicing tomorrow after being removed from the non-football list on Saturday
- OT DeMarcus Love was held out of practice with a shoulder injury and is listed day-to-day. Rookie Matt Kalil took extra reps with the second team today in place of Love.
- WR Percy Harvin missed some of practice with a jammed finger
- QB Notes: Christian Ponder completed 7 of 13 passes, including a touchdown in 11-on-11 work and finished 5 of 7 with an interception in 7 man work
- Christian Ponder: Overall “a great three days”
- Toby Gerhart: Ponder is playing much less “mechanical” than as a rookie, now focusing on “relaxing and playing football” — good to hear Ponder is much more comfortable
- Notable hits of day one with pads: LB Jasper Brinkley lays out Lex Hilliard and now-LB Everson Griffen leveled Ryan D’Imperio
- Kicker update: rookie Blair Walsh was 7 of 8 (or a perfect 8 of 8 — reporters couldn’t tell if the final kick was good) on his first live field goal session in the NFL
- Jared Allen versus Matt Kalil showdown: Allen beat Kalil on their second one-on-one drill, but overall Matt Kalil held his own versus on the best defensive ends in the game
- Who impressed? Trevor Guton, Brandon Fusco, Chris Cook, Reggie Jones and Manny Arceneaux
“Man, we’ve got so many pieces here, it’s going to be unbelievable. We’re going to turn a lot of heads.” — new Vikings WR Jerome Simpson on the Vikings offense
Last but not least, Congratulations to former Vikings Matt Blair who is the newest and 20th member of the Vikings Hall of Fame. He will be honored on October 25th during halftime of Vikings versus Tampa Bay game. Blair is second in team history with 1,452 tackles.