The Braves swept the Philadelphia Phillies to begin a 10 game home stand, defeating the Phils 6-2 on Sunday. The Braves have a 5 game winning streak and move on to face division opponent Miami for three games.
A five game winning streak, coupled with a 6-2 record against the Phillies give the Braves a good feeling going into August. The Braves lost 12 of 18 games in 2011 against the 5-time division winning team. They have swept then twice in a for the first time since 2000 (swept them July 6-8 in Philadelphia). The Phillies (45-57) were outscored 14-4 in this series. Here are how the games ended in this series:
Friday: 6-1, 3 run homer by McCann
Saturday: 2-1, Minor pitched 8 innings
Sunday: 6-2, Chipper, Heyward homer.
Despite Roy Halladay (4-6) obtaining his career 2,000th strike out in the bottom of the 1st, the Braves beat him and Cole Hamels after his signing of million dollar contract extention.
Halladay went 6 IP, 6R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 9 K with a 4.19 ERA. He is 4-6 with a 4.33 for the season. Halladay is only a few starts removed from a stint on the disabled list. The once strong, dominant pitching rotation of the Phillies has faltered in every way in 2012. The teams record against the Braves has proved it. Hudson (10-4, 3.68 ERA) went 5 2/3 innings, allowing 2 runs, 7 hits 2R 2 ER 0 BB, 5K on Sunday for his 10th win of the year.
NEXT UP: Miami Marlins
National League East
1. Washington Nationals 61-44
2. Atlanta Braves 57-44 4 GB
3. New York Mets 49-54 12.5 GB
4. Miami Marlins 47-54 14 GB
5. Philadelphia Phillies 45-57 16.5 GB
The Braves take on the Miami Marlins for 4 games as the homestand against the bottom of the National League East continues.
Monday: Braves RHP Tommy Hanson (11-5, 4.39 ERA) vs. LHP Mark Buehrle (9-9, 3.31)
Tuesday: Braves RHP Kris Medlen (1-1, 2.48) vs. RHP Ricky Nolasco (8-9, 4.80)
Wednesday: Braves RHP Ben Sheets (3-0, 0.50) vs. RHP Carlos Zambrano (5-9, 4.54)
A Few Notes:
- The Braves, still looking for starting pitching as the trading deadline nears, will start Kris Medlin on Tuesday, skipping struggling starter Jair Jurrjens.
- Marlins SS Jose Reyes is currently on a 16-game hitting streak, hitting .339 (21 for 62) during the streak. Braves 2B Dan Uggla continues his epic batting drought, hitting under .150 for the month of July. Gonzalez has no plans on benching him.
- The Braves are 0-12 on Mondays.
- The Braves are 6-2 against the Marlins this season.
- The Marlins are in their fire sale mode. They traded 3B Hanley Ramirez to the Differs, and have speculated plans to rid themselves of starter Josh Johnson.
Information, statistics, quotes from AJC.COM, ESPN.COM, The Official Website of The Atlanta Braves, USA Today
Follow me on Twitter @southsportsgirl
and check out The Southern Fried Sports Girl
Posted from WordPress for Android