In what is considered a formality, 146 Major League Baseball players filed for arbitration on Tuesday afternoon. Seven of those players play for the KC Royals. Now there is a noon central deadline on Friday for when teams and players will formally exchange and submit salary figures. If the two sides cannot agree, an arbitration hearing will be scheduled for sometime between February 1st and 21st.
Back in November, MLB Trade Rumors contributor Matt Swartz put together a list of arbitration projections. Let’s take a look at what he projects for the seven Royals:
- Right-handed pitcher Luke Hochevar projects to make $5 million in 2014. He made $4.56 million last season.
- Closer Greg Holland made just $539,500 in 2013. He projects a BIG pay raise of $4.9 million.
- Right-handed pitcher Aaron Crow is looking at a pay increase to $1.9 million in 2014 after making $1.28 million last season.
- Lefty reliever Tim Collins made just $534,500 in 2013. He projects to earn $1 million after arbitration.
- First baseman Eric Hosmer made just $528,250 in 2013. He also projects a BIG pay raise up to $4.1 million. Plus, Scott Boras is his agent.
- Utility man Emilio Bonifacio projects to make $3.3 million in 2014.
- Backup outfielder Justin Maxwell projects to make $1.2 million after arbitration.
We will have to wait to see how much these guys end up making and how close the projections end up.