Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman has said he didn’t know he was ingesting Adderall when he took a drink from the bottle of a teammate who had the prescribed-for-him substance crushed in the drink.
Yet, Sherman was handed a four game suspension for a doping violation.
According to USA Today:
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, suspended for four games for violating the NFL’s doping policy, says he unknowingly ingested Adderall prescribed to a teammate, according to a person informed of Sherman’s explanation.
The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because neither Sherman nor his agent have discussed the details of the case publicly, said Sherman says he accidentally drank from a bottle into which a teammate poured a crushed Adderall pill. The person said the teammate is permitted to take the drug under NFL rules because he has a prescription.
Sherman’s agent, Kevin Poston, declined to comment on the specifics of the appeal when asked Monday afternoon. When presented with the accidental-ingestion scenario, Poston said: “What appears is not always the case. Hopefully, when the facts come out, justice will prevail.”
The publication reports that the timetable for an appeal is unclear at this time.
We will definitely keep track of this story.