Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4) vs Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2)
Sunday, October 16th @ Heinz Field
The Jaguars are on the road this week & in search of their first win since week 1 versus the Tennessee Titans. Currently (1-4), the Jaguars hope to improve their record before their bye week but have a tough 3 game stretch.
10 things every Jags fan should know leading up to Sunday’s match-up versus the Pittsburgh Steelers:
1. Pittsburgh currently has the #2 ranked defense in the NFL (2nd only to Cincinnati). The Steelers have only allowed their opponents 282.2 yards per game.
2. Jacksonville’s defense ranks #11 on the list, allowing their opponents an average of 316.4 per game.
3. The Steelers had a big victory over the Titans in Week 5, where Ben Roethlisberger completed 24 of his 34 passes with 5 touchdowns & 1 interception.
4. The Steelers defense will be missing a key component on Sunday as James Harrison is out due to the recent surgery on his orbital bone.
5. Steelers RB Rashard Mendenhall will return to his starting role on Sunday.
6. Since rookie QB Blaine Gabbert took the starting role, he has played in 4 games with 3 starts. Gabbert has completed 48 of his 97 passes for 608 yards accompanied by 3 touchdowns & 2 interceptions. During the 3 games he started he has thrown a TD pass.
7. Rashean Mathis has had 6 NFL career games versus the Steelers; during those games he has recorded 6 interceptions, two of those for a touchdown.
8. Jacksonville’s updated injury report: Clint Session (Elbow) & CB Derek Cox (Groin) are doubtful; LT Eugene Monroe (Shoulder) is questionable.
9. Jags fans will get what they asked for on Sunday… After a terrible performance all season the Jags released Matt Turk this week & signed Nick Harris to take his place. Will Harris be an improvement or yet another disappointment?
10. Finally, the news we have all been waiting for… AARON KAMPMAN WILL PLAY ON SUNDAY! He is expected to take about 15-20 snaps versus the Steelers.
* * *
Did you know?
· The Pittsburgh Steelers have lost all of their last four home games.
· The Steelers have never beaten the Jaguars at Heinz field.
· Jacksonville & Pittsburgh have met 20 times; the Jaguars currently lead the series (11-9).
· During their last 5 meetings, the Jaguars have come out on top 4 times.
· The Jaguars are the only team in NFL history to beat the Steelers at home twice in one season (2007)
· Blaine Gabbert turns 22 on Saturday (Happy Birthday Blaine)… He is still in search of his first career victory. Maybe his birthday luck will roll over into Sunday? Do you think that’s what he will be thinking about when blowing out the candles on his birthday cake?