Hanshin Tigers: 12 Athletics: 6
The pitching was not nearly as sharp as it was in their first exhibition game, in fact they gave up 12 more hits, 12 more runs and 4 more walks than their first game. This was the final exhibition game before their series against the Mariners, so maybe they were just getting it out of their system…?
Lines of the Day:
- Evan Scribner: 2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB. Scribner was the only pitcher (besides Schlichting who recorded the last out in the eighth) to not allow a run.
- Kurt Suzuki: 2 AB, 1 H, 1 R, 3 RBI. Kurt Suzuki hit his second home run of the day, at least in our time zone and his 3 RBI lifted his daily total to 5.
Ugly Lines of Day:
- Tyson Ross: 4 IP, 10 H, 8 R (6 earned), 1 BB, 1 strikeout. Tyson Ross did the exact opposite of what Tom Milone did in his start and I am pretty sure that he’s happy that these games don’t mean anything.
- Andrew Carignan: .2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 earned), 2 BB. After retiring the first two batters, Carignan allowed a single, a walk, a single, a walk and a single, which led to three runs and him needing to be relieved by Travis Schlichting.
- There were 3 errors in this game, Kila Ka’aihue committed 2 and Cliff Pennington committed 1.
- Bob Melvin says he is leaning towards starting Brandon Allen at first base on opening night, but Susan Slusser tweets that Melvin is considering using two different first basemen in the series.
- The A’s also announced that Wes Timmons, Evan Scribner and Travis Schlichting will not be on the roster for the series.
The A’s get an off day before their Opening Night series against the Mariners, the game will begin on Wednesday at 3:10 AM (PST). The probable pitchers for the game are (RHP) Brandon McCarthy and (RHP) Felix Hernandez.