The A’s will begin a 10-game home stand tonight, and will start off by facing the Tampa Bay Rays (53-49) for 3 games. The A’s last faced the Rays in May and took 2 out of 3 from them in St. Petersburg.
Monday 7:05 PM PST: (LHP) David Price (14-4) Vs (RHP) A.J. Griffin (3-0)
- David Price has easily been one of the most consistent left handed, or just in general, pitchers in baseball this season. That didn’t change in his last start against the Baltimore Orioles either. He held the O’s to just 1 run over 7 innings while allowing 7 hits, no walks and striking out 10. Price Faced the A’s earlier this season and held them to just 3 hits, 1 run, 1 walk and struck out 12 over 8 innings.
- A.J. Griffin had another quality start against the Toronto Blue Jays in his last outing. He held them to 3 hits, no runs, 3 walks and struck out a career high of 9. Griffin will be making his first career start against the Rays tonight.
Tuesday 7:05 PM PST: (RHP) James Shields (8-7) Vs (LHP) Tom Milone (9-7)
- James Shields was not great in his last outing against the Baltimore Orioles, allowing 6 hits, 5 runs and 5 walks, but he did strike out 10. Shields has not faced the A’s this season yet, but has a 4-3 career record against them with a 4.58 ERA over 11 starts.
- Tom Milone’s last start against the Toronto Blue Jays was a typical Milone road start, allowing 6 runs (5 earned) on 8 hits with no walks and striking out 7. Like Griffin, Milone will be making his first career start against the Rays in this series.
Wednesday 12:35 PM PST: (RHP) Alex Cobb (4-8) Vs (RHP) Jarrod Parker (7-4)
- Alex Cobb saw the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in his last start. Over 7 innings he allowed 8 hits, 3 runs, no walks and struck out 3. Cobb has faced the A’s once in his career and in that start he allowed 8 hits, 5 runs, 4 walks and struck out 4 over 4.1 innings.
- Jarrod Parker was not great in his last start against the Baltimore Orioles, allowing 8 hits and 6 runs while walking 1 and striking out 8. Along with the other 2 rookies, this will be his first career start against the Rays.
Keys to Success:
It’s another big test for the rookies in this series with none of the 3 having faced the Rays before. The first game will definitely be the hardest, but it’s never an easy task facing the Rays. As they did on most of their road trip, score early and often and hopefully the pitching can take care of the rest.
For more on the Tampa Bay Rays, visit Cowbell Clankers.