Athletics: 1 Royals: 0
The only run the A’s scored today was an RBI single from Josh Donaldson in the second, but it was all they needed to win the game. Tommy Milone was efficient tonight, throwing 8 shutout innings, he only allowed 3 hits (all three were doubles) while walking 3 and only needed 97 pitches to get through the 8 innings.
The defense was stellar tonight behind Milone, they had no errors and there were three great plays that stood out to me, made by Josh Reddick, Daric Barton and Josh Donaldson.
Lines of the Day:
- Tom Milone: 8 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 0 SO. Yes you’re reading that correctly, he threw 8 shutout innings and did not even strike 1 batter out. After speaking about his control all spring, he ended up walking 3 tonight, which I don’t imagine will be a common occurrence for him.
- Kurt Suzuki: 3 AB, 3 H, 1 BB. The A’s only had 7 hits tonight and Kurt was responsible for 3 of them, here’s hoping that tonight’s performance is a sign of good things to come.
Ugly lines of the Day:
- Josh Reddick: 4 AB, 0 H. Outside of Suzuki, no one really hit tonight, but Josh Reddick was the only player in the starting lineup to not reach base by getting a hit or taking a walk.
- By now you know that Daric Barton was called up to Oakland earlier today (Brandon Allen was designated for assignment to make room for him), he went 0-3, grounded into a double play and took a walk today.
- Grant Balfour recorded his 2nd save of the season, he issued 1 walk and stuck out 1.
- There’s bad news for the A’s bullpen, Joey Devine is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow on his right elbow again, very little details have been released, but we should know more after the procedure.
To see the Royals game recap please visit Drinking the Royals Blue-Aid.