Athletics: 3 Yankees: 2
This season has quickly become the season of walk-offs for the A’s. Tonight was no exception, as they won on their 10th walk-off of the season.
Tom Milone left the game after throwing 7 shutout innings, but the bullpen could not hold the lead for him tonight. Jerry Blevins allowed a lead off home run to Russell Martin in the eighth and Ryan Cook allowed his second home run in 2 days (also his second home run in his major league career) when Robinson Cano lead off the ninth with one.
Josh Reddick lead off the bottom of the ninth by striking out, Yoenis Cespedes then singled, Jonny Gomes followed with a single of his own and then Brandon Moss singled to score Cespedes which won the A’s their 49th game of the season.
Lines of the Day:
- Tom Milone: 7 IP, 6 H, 0 R, 10 SO. Milone struck out a career high of 10 tonight and did not walk a single batter. It took him 110 pitches to get through 7 innings and 78 were for strikes.
- Yoenis Cespedes: 5 AB, 4 H, 1 R. Are you tired of hearing about Cespedes yet? Good. Because I’m not either.
- Josh Reddick: 5 AB, 3 H, 2 2B. 3 hits for Reddick tonight, who now has a .274/.351/.534 slash line on the season with 18 doubles.
Ugly Lines of the day:
- Jemile Weeks: 4 AB, 0 H, 1 RBI. After going 2-4 yesterday, Weeks had a hitless night tonight. He has been pretty inconsistent all season and has a .221/.307/.304 slash line on the season.
- The offense did collect 13 hits tonight and 3 walks tonight, but missed out on many opportunities to add on to their lead. They were 3-14 with runners in scoring position tonight and left 14 runners on base.
- Cliff Pennington was placed on the DL earlier today with left elbow tendinitis. Eric Sogard was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to replace Pennington and was in tonight’s lineup. He went 1-4 tonight.
- After holding the Yankees to only 2 runs tonight, the A’s snapped their 43-game streak of scoring 3 or more runs in a game.
For more on the Yankees, visit Second Place Is Not An Option.