This was the shortest start for Bartolo Colon since April 7th, when he only lasted 4.1 innings, but he left the game with a tie which was eventually broken up in the 12th off a solo home run by Jonny Gomes (his 5th of the season). The A’s would go on to win the game, are looking at a .500 record again and are now 3-1 in extras this season.
Lines of the Day:
- A’s Bullpen: 7 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 SO. Tonight it was Jordan Norberto, Ryan Cook, Brian Fuentes and Grant Balfour who held the Rays scoreless through almost a complete game (the Rays bullpen was almost equally as impressive).
- Jonny Gomes: 1 AB, 1H, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB. Not only did Gomes hit the go ahead home run to win the game, but he also made a great catch in the 10th to rob Carlos Pena from what would have probably been a double.
- Daric Barton: 5 AB, 3 H, 1 BB. Barton finally saw some time at first base again, he showed his appreciation by reaching base 4 times and being a big part of the double play that ended the game.
Ugly Line of the Day:
- Jemile Weeks: 6 AB, 0 H, 0 BB, 7 LOB. Weeks was the only player to not either record a hit or take a walk in tonight’s line up, he is now hitting .174 this season.
- After having 3 poor outings in a row, Grant Balfour pitched a clean inning tonight and recorded his 7th save of the season. He allowed a lead off single to BJ Upton, but then got Carlos Pena to pop up and got Matt Joyce to ground out into a double-play on a 3-0 count.
- Josh Reddick also hit his 5th home run of the season, it was also a solo shot, that came off of Jeremy Hellickson in the 1st inning. Reddick went 2-6 tonight and also had 1 run and 2 RBI.
- Bartolo Colon only last 5 innings tonight, he allowed 8 hits, 3 earned runs, walked 2 and struck out 2.