Athletics: 7 Blue Jays: 2
The A’s begin their 6-game road trip with a win. They have now won 6 straight, making it this their longest winning streak this season.
The A’s scored first when Derek Norris launched a 2-run home run in the second, it was his 3rd home run of the season. The A’s bats were pretty silent until the 7th inning, when they scored 5 runs with 2 outs. The rally began with Jemile Weeks hitting a triple that scored Brandon Hicks from second. Coco Crisp then doubled in Weeks and put the A’s up 4-1. Next Jonny Gomes and Josh Reddick would both walk and Yoenis Cespedes added 3 more runs when he cleared the bases with a single.
Lines of the Day:
- Travis Blackey: 7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 8 SO. The one run Blackley allowed was a lead off home run by Travis Snider in the 3rd. It took him only 97 pitches to get through 7 innings and he struck out a season high of 8.
- Jemile Weeks: 4 AB, 2 H, 1 R, 1 RBI. Weeks was moved down to the 9th spot today and it paid off. He was the only player in today’s lineup to collect 2 hits, one of which was a triple.
Ugly Lines of the Day:
- Chris Carter: 3 AB, 0 H, 1 BB. Chris Carter was the only player in the A’s lineup to not record a hit tonight, but he did reach base in the 4th when he walked.
- Evan Scribner and Jim Miller each threw an inning of relief tonight, Scribner allowed a hit and struck out two while Miller allowed 2 hits, including a solo home run and struck out 1.
- A’s top prospect, Michael Choice, has been shut down for the season due to a broken hand. He had .287/.356/.423 slash line in Double-A Midland over 91 games with 10 HR.