White Sox: 7 Athletics: 3
There is not a lot to say about this afternoon’s game except it was ugly.
Bartolo Colon was strong through the first five innings, only allowing one unearned run off of a bad throw by Cliff Pennington. Jonny Gomes tied the game at 1-1 in the sixth when he hit his fourteenth home run of the season.
Colon retired the first batter in the sixth, but allowed a single to Alex Rios and the following batter, A.J. Pierzynski, hit a 2-run home run off of him and the White Sox regained the lead. He then got Alexei Ramirez to ground out, but with two outs the White Sox rallied to score 3 more runs off of Colon. The last time Bartolo Colon allowed five runs or more was June 12th against the Colorado Rockies. This is also the first time he has allowed an earned run since July 22nd against the New York Yankees.
The A’s would go on to score two more runs in the game, both off of solo home runs, but it wasn’t enough to rally back and win.
There were three errors committed in today’s game, two by Cliff Pennington and one by Yoenis Cespedes, but technically, only one of of those errors cost the A’s a run.
Line of the Day:
- Adam Rosales: 4 AB, 2 H, 1 RBI, 1 HR. Adam Rosales was one of the two players who had a multi-hit game, one of those hits was a home run (his second of the season).
Ugly Lines of the Day:
- Bartolo Colon: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R (5 Earned), 2 BB, 2 SO. Colon has been good for the A’s this season, so it’s hard to be mad about today’s game. A pitcher is bound to have a bad day eventually, today was his.
- A’s Offense: 35 AB, 8 H, 3 RBI, 13 SO. The only three runs that the A’s scored were off of solo home runs. To be fair, Chris Sale is one of the best left-handed pitchers in the game right now, so again, hard to be mad.
- Derek Norris hit his fifth home run of the season in the ninth.
- After having a big day yesterday, Chris Carter went 0-4 today with two strikeouts.
- Brandon Inge was not in the lineup today after dislocating his shoulder in last night’s game. The injury is more serious than originally thought and he will head to Oakland tomorrow for a MRI and a DL trip is possible.
For more on the Chicago White Sox, visit South Side Hit Girl.