Athletics: 6 Angels: 0
Bartolo Colon was on top of his game tonight, at one point throwing 38 consecutive strikes between the 5th and 8th inning, it would have actually been more, but there was a possible botched call by the umpire on number 39.
Not only did the A’s finally figure out how to beat Ervin Santana, but they also found a way to break their single digit hit streak, having recorded 10 today.
Lines of the Day:
- Bartolo Colon: 8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 SO. An indication of how good he was tonight, Colon threw 108 pitches, 82 which were strikes.
- Seth Smith: 2 AB, 1 H, 3 BB. No one really had a huge offensive day, so Seth Smith gets the line of the day for plate discipline.
Ugly Lines of the Day:
- Daric Barton: 4 AB, 0 H, 2 SO. Barton did show a little bit of warning track power in the 9th, so it’s not all bad.
- Kurt Suzuki: 4 AB, 0 H. Kurt’s having a bit of a rough year so far, but he didn’t strikeout tonight, so there’s some good news!
- Yoenis Cespedes hit his 4th home run of the season, it came off of Ervin Santana in the top of the 1st. Jonny Gomes also hit a home run off of Santana in the 4th, it was his 3rd of the season (it also happened to be his 3rd hit of the season).
- It was another multiple hit night for Josh Reddick, who went 2-5 with a run.
- Cliff Pennington committed his 1st error of the season, but that’s okay because he also went 2-4, had 1 walk and 1 run.