Athletics: 6 Orioles: 1
The A’s celebrated their 100th game of the season with a win tonight. They are now 10 games over .500 and with a Rangers loss are now 3 1/2 games out of first place in the division.
The question is, are the A’s “faking” like many seem to believe? If you asked me in the beginning of the month I might have told you they were running on luck, but how can you not believe in this team right now?
It was Yoenis Cespedes who struck first tonight, in the fourth he hit a 2-run home run, his 14th of the season, off of right-hander Tommy Hunter to get the A’s on the board. Chris Carter also hit a 2-run home run in the sixth, his 8th of the season.
Bartolo Colon was okay tonight, lasting only 5 2/3 innings, while allowing 7 hits and 1 walk and striking out 5. His pitch count was up early and the only inning he did not have a runner in scoring position was in the 3rd, but was able to get out of trouble every time.
Lines of the Day:
- Yoenis Cespedes: 4 AB, 2 H, 1 R, 3 RBI, 1 HR, 1 3B. Since returning from the All-Star break Cespedes has a .439/.484/.807 slash line with a 1.291 OPS.
- Jemile Weeks: 5 AB, 3 H, 2 R. This is the first time Weeks had a 3-hit game this season.
Ugly Lines of the Day:
- Coco Crisp: 4 AB, 0 H, 1 SO. Crisp was the only player in the starting lineup to not reach base today. He also left the game in the 8th with a tight hamstring and is not expected to be in the lineup for tomorrow’s game.
- Josh Reddick was not in the lineup tonight because of the back contusion he suffered yesterday, but was available to pinch hit so he should be back in the lineup from Sunday’s game.
- Eric Sogard started at shortstop today and went 2-4 with an RBI.
- Evan Scribner pitched 1.2 innings tonight and allowed 1 hit (a solo home run) and struck out 2. The one run he allowed was his first of the season.
- According to Susan Slusser the A’s have acquired George Kottaras from the Milwaukee Brewers, but no official announcement has been made yet. The A’s are expected to send Fautino De Los Santos in return.
For more on the Baltimore Orioles, visit Charm City Yakyuu.