Yesterday I said that the A’s had an off day today and that their next scheduled day wasn’t until Sunday. It turns out that today IS Sunday so a game was played (Imagine how surprised I was when I woke up this morning and saw the lineup card posted on Twitter for today’s game). For the second day in a row the A’s defeated the Colorado Rockies, today’s final score was 7-2.
AJ Griffin started today’s game and went three innings, allowed three hits, one run (on a solo home run from Nolan Arenado), walked none and struck out one. Griffin has allowed four hits over five innings this spring, while allowing one run, no walks and striking out four. Pat Neshek relieved Griffin in the fourth inning and pitched one clean inning, striking out one. Lefties Pedro Figueroa and Hideki Okajima both pitched an inning a piece; Figueroa allowed a hit and struck out one, while Okajima did not allow a baserunner and struck out one. The other run allowed was off of Justin Thomas, who pitched two innings today, allowed three hits and struck out one.
Most of the runs scored today did not come off of hits, the first run scored was off of a bases loaded hit by pitch in the first inning. The second run scored in the third after Daric Barton was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, then two batters later, Adam Rosales walked with the bases loaded to score the third run of the game and Scott Sizemore followed up with a bases loaded hit by pitch to score the fourth run. That’s five batters hit by pitches in the last two innings for those counting.
- Scott Sizemore did start at second base today, but had to be pulled for precautionary reasons in the fifth because of a bruised hand due to the hit by pitch. Before he left the game he was 2-2 with an RBI. He is now 3-12 this spring with three walks and two RBI. Grant Green replaced Scott Sizemore and went 2-2 with a run scored.
- Chris Young started in center field today and went 1-4 with an RBI and two strikeouts.
- Josh Donaldson was the starting third baseman for the team today and he went 0-3 with a walk and two strikeouts.
- Michael Choice started in right field today (he replaced Chris Young in center in the sixth) he went 1-3 with an RBI, a run scored and a HBP.
- Hiro Nakajima started at shortstop today and went 1-3 with a run scored and a strikeout. He is now 3-14 this spring with eight strikeouts.
- Daric Barton started at first base today and went 0-1 with a HBP and walk.
- Addison Russell was the designated hitter today and he went 1-5 with an RBI and a strikeout. In four games this spring Russell is 4-11 with two RBI and one walk.
The A’s WILL play a game tomorrow against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Dan Straily will be making his second start for team.