The A’s will begin a big 3-game series tonight against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (58-51). The Angels are only a half a game behind the A’s, who are currently tied with the Tigers for the first wild card. In order to keep the lead the A’s are going to have to defeat 3 very tough pitchers and one of the strongest offenses in baseball. The last time the 2 teams faced each other was in May and the Angels took 2 out of 3 from the A’s.
Monday 7:05 PM PST: (RHP) Jered Weaver (14-1) Vs (RHP) Jarrod Parker (7-5)
- Jered Weaver has been one of the most consistent players in baseball this season, having only allowed 3 or more runs in 4 of his 19 starts. In his last start against the Texas Rangers he held them to 5 hits, 2 runs, walked one and struck out 3. Weaver has faced the A’s twice this season and has only allowed 1 run over 14.2 innings, while walking 3 and striking out 10.
- Jarrod Parker last faced the Tampa Bay Rays and lasted 6 innings, allowed 8 hits, 3 runs, walked 3 and struck out 2. Parker has faced the Angels once this season and over 7 innings he allowed 7 hits, 1 run, walked 1 and struck out 8.
Tuesday 7:05 PM PST: (LHP) C.J. Wilson (9-7) Vs (RHP) Bartolo Colon (8-8)
- C.J. Wilson had a very poor start in his last outing against the Texas Rangers, allowing 8 runs on 10 hits and 3 walks while striking out 7. Despite his disgust in playing in Oakland, he last faced them in May at the Coliseum and only allowed 1 hit over 8 innings, while walking 2 and striking out 7.
- Bartolo Colon had a great outing in his start start against the Toronto Blue Jays only allowing 7 hits, no runs, walking 1 and striking out 3. Colon has faced the Angels twice this season and his last his start he allowed 4 runs on 12 hits, walked none and struck out 3 over 6.2 innings.
Wednesday 12:35 PM PST: (RHP) Zack Greinke (0-1) Vs (RHP) Dan Straily (0-0)
- Zack Greinke will be making his 3rd start for the Angels on Wednesday afternoon. In his last start against the Chicago White Sox he allowed 10 hits, 6 runs walked 2 and struck out 4 over 7 innings. Greinke has faced the A’s 13 times (9 starts) in his career and has a 5-1 record with a 3.00 ERA against them.
- Dan Straily will only be making his second Major League start on Wednesday. His last start (and also first start) was against the Tampa Bay Rays and he lasted 6 innings, allowed 5 hits, 1 run, walked 1 and struck out 5.
Keys to Success:
The last series showed several of the A’s weaknesses. When the pitching was strong the offense was weak and when the offense was strong(er) the pitching wasn’t great. The Angels are a big threat to the A’s right now, so they are going to have to figure it out some how. They are going to have to find ways to score against 2 pitchers they have struggled against in the past and the pitching is going to have to be near perfect again. This is going to be a tough series for the A’s and I am hoping their fight comes back for this one.