Another active morning for the A’s today. More roster moves for the green and gold and more good news coming from the DL side of things.
- Brandon McCarthy has been placed on the 15-day DL with right shoulder soreness retroactive to June 20th. This is the same injury that landed the right-hander on the DL back in May. McCarthy had put together a very nice season for himself again, going 6-3 over 12 starts with a 2.54 ERA, a 3.37 FIP and .283 BABIP. He also ranked 6th among AL starting pitchers with a 2.2 WAR. It is not known how much time McCarthy will miss, but he is hoping to return some time around the All-Star break.
- The A’s have purchased the contract of A.J. Griffin from Sacramento, he will replace Brandon McCarthy in the rotation and will be making his MLB debut this afternoon against the San Francisco Giants. Between Double-A and Triple-A this season, Griffin pitched in 15 games putting up a 6-3 record with a 2.66 ERA over 94.2 innings. In the minors this season he also had a 8.0 SO/9 rate and a very impressive 1.3 BB/9 rate.
- In order to make room for A.J. Griffin on the 40-man roster the A’s have designated (RHP) Danny Farquhar for assignment. The A’s claimed Farquhar off of waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays back on June 9th and this was his second stint with the club. Over 8 innings in Sacramento this season, he had a 10.12 ERA and had issued 6 walks and 10 hits.
- Also on the move is (RHP) Evan Scribner, who has been recalled from Triple-A Sacramento. Scribner pitched in 4.1 innings of relief this season for the A’s and only allowed a walk and struck out 5.
- To make room for Scribner, (INF) Eric Sogard has been optioned back to Sacramento.
- Dallas Braden will be throwing of the mound this week for the first time since Spring Training. The left-hander is recovering from shoulder surgery and was sidelined back in April after straining his shoulder while rehabbing.