The A’s clubhouse was exceptionally busy this AM. Several moves were made, some surprises and some expected. There is also some good news coming from the DL.
- The A’s have placed (RHP) Bartolo Colon on the DL with a right oblique strain retroactive June 18th. The earliest he will return is after the All-Star break. Over 15 games this season Colon has a 6-7 record with a 4.22 ERA and a 3.44 SO/BB ratio.
- As expect the A’s have recalled (RHP) Tyson Ross from Sacramento to replace Colon in the rotation. Tyson Ross has started 10 games for Oakland this season, he has a 2-6 record with a 6.11 ERA and a very poor 11.4 H/9 and 4.2 BB/9 rate. He also has a 4.99 xFIP and .339 BABIP.
- After rolling his ankle yesterday in the 9th, (OF) Collin Cowgill has been placed on the 15-day DL with a left ankle sprain. Over 108 PA this season Cowgill has a .271/.343/.313 slash line with 1 HR and 3 SB.
- (INF) Brandon Hicks has been recalled from Sacramento to replace Cowgill on the roster. With his time in Sacramento, Hicks had a .272/.374/.548 slash line with a .922 OPS. He also had 13 HR and 48 RBI over 65 games. Hicks is in the starting lineup tonight and Melvin has stated he plans on using him against left-handed pitchers and mainly will be used at short.
- (LHP) Brett Anderson threw 20 pitches off the mound today and Bob Melvin described it as “Quick, efficent, command was there.” Brett Anderson had Tommy John surgery back in July of last season and, according to the team, ahead of schedule and due to return to the team in August.