No need to sugar coat it tonight, this game was supposed to be a big one for the Stars against the best in the NHL. This was the first game this season in which the Stars had Jamie Benn, Ray Whitney, Derek Roy, and Jaromir Jagr all together in the same game and were desperately needing a win in general, but especially one at home. The Stars started off the game real well and then Chicago scored their first goal, and then it all went downhill from there.
The first seven minutes of the game went well for the Stars as they looked like they were make Chicago play their style of hockey. Dallas even had a powerplay opportunity in the first three minutes of the game, but at the 9:05 mark of the period the first big defensive misplay by the Stars led to a Chicago goal as a Nick Leddy shot was tipped in by Jonathan Toews to give Chicago a 1-0 lead. It only took 95 seconds for Toews to strike again as he put a backhand behind Lehtonen and just like that the Stars were down 2-0. Dallas spent the rest of the period chasing as Chicago was showing why they are the best team in the NHL right now. Chicago would add on one more before the end of the period as the Chicago offense crashed the net completely blowing by the Dallas defense and as the Blackhawks chipped at the loose puck Nick Leddy got it past Lehtonen giving the Blackhawks a 3-0 lead at the end of the first.
Dallas didn’t help themselves in the second period with penalties and bad defense. Chicago made it 4-0 at the 8:01 mark of the period off a Johnny Oduya point shot past a completely screened Kari Lehtonen. This goal ended the night for Lehtonen as Richard Bachman would take over in net. It didn’t take long for Chicago to welcome Bachman to the game as he was tested early. Chicago got their fifth goal of the game when Patrick Kane made a great pass to Marian Hossa. Hossa would later add a powerplay goal and give the Blackhawks a 6-0 lead after two periods.
Chicago got an early goal from Duncan Keith off a scramble in front, Keith fired a wrist shot from the point and made it 7-0. Dallas got a powerplay opportunity and made the most of it as Trevor Daley got a much needed goal for himself and the Stars making the game 7-1. The last goal of the game was one for the highlight reels as Patrick Kane did a complete spin-o-rama on the Dallas defenseman and fired a backhand past Bachman making the game 8-1. Dallas stays on its losing streak and still winless on the homestand as they fall to the Chicago Blackhawks.
- Congratulations to Joe Nieuwendyk on being named to the 20th anniversary.
- Dallas Stars owner Tom Gaglardi was in town for this game. Not a great show for the boss tonight
- Again I ask, where were the Stars tonight. Jamie Benn- 0 shots and a -2. Jaromir Jagr- 2 Shots -1. Alex Goligoski 0 shots and a -3. Ray Whitney 0 shots and a -2.
- Stars are now 5-6-2 at home this season.
- Well at least the Blackhawks were equal to both Dallas goaltenders. Both Lehtonen and Bachman faced 17 shots tonight and each gave up 4 goals.
- Official attendance for the game- 18,584. Third sellout of the season.
- Three Stars of the game chosen by Bob Sturm of KTCK 1310 The Ticket: 1. Jonathan Toews 2. Marian Hossa 3. Patrick Sharp
- Stars finish off this homestand Monday as the Calgary Flames roll into town for the final meeting between these two teams this season.