The final game of the Dallas Stars’ big homestand would be the first of three in a row against the Pacific Division leading Anaheim Ducks. Dallas is still in the hunt for a playoff spot and this week will really test them against one of the best in the west. Glen Gulutzan said that the Stars would be all out today after falling flat against the Kings on Sunday and it looked that way after one period, but the Stars couldn’t provide a full sixty minutes tonight.
The Dallas Stars set a physical tone in the first period as Jamie Benn, Eric Nystrom, and AHL call up Francis Wathier took a hit on a white jersey whenever they could and made Anaheim work for every inch of ice they got. Dallas looked to create offense as well, Loui Eriksson had the best opportunities for the Stars in the first period as he had a couple of good looks at Anaheim goalie Viktor Fasth. Anaheim did get shots on Dallas goalie Kari Lehtonen, but Lehtonen looked sharp in the beginning. After one period Anaheim outshot Dallas 9-6, but the score was tied 0-0.
Dallas kept the pressure on Anaheim in the second period resulting in the Stars earning two shots on the powerplay, which they didn’t convert on, but they created some great opportunities. Soon after Anaheim received their first shot on the powerplay off a Stephane Robidas hooking minor, and the offense ignited for the Ducks. The first Duck goal was on the powerplay as Cam Fowler and Ryan Getzlaf set Bobby Ryan up for an excellent shot which he fired past Kari Lehtonen for his tenth goal of the season. A little over two minutes later at the 12:52 mark of the period the Ducks struck again as Bobby Ryan from behind the Dallas net found a streaking Corey Perry and set Perry up for goal number twelve this season. The Ducks final goal of the period came at the 15:02 mark of the period as Matt Belesky finished his own play he created with a backhand shot giving the Ducks a 3-0 lead after two periods.
Dallas had opportunities to get back into the game throughout the third period including two chances on the powerplay, but couldn’t get any offense going. Anaheim’s Teemu Selanne added an empty net goal at the end of the game to give Anaheim a dominant 4-0 victory over Dallas to end their five game homestand.
- Congratulations to Stu Barnes who was announced as a member of the 20th anniversary team
- An attempted April Fools prank by the Stars in which they were unveiling their “new jerseys” which were just the old Mooterus jerseys did not go well with the fans tonight.
- Season debut of Francis Wathier as he was recalled to bring some size and toughness to the Stars lineup
- Tough not to notice the positive impact Sheldon Souray brings to the Ducks defensive core.
- Anaheim’s best players: Selanne, Getzlaf, Ryan, and Perry combined for six points tonight.
- Official game attendance: 13,748
- Three Stars of the Game chosen by Bruce Levine of KTCK 1310 The Ticket: 1. Bobby Ryan 2. Viktor Fasth 3. Ryan Getzlaf
- The Stars will travel to Anaheim to take on these same Ducks on Wednesday. Puck drops at 9:00 pm