It was a bounce back game for the Texas Stars as they were able to defeat the Chicago Wolves Friday night after suffering a nasty 4-1 defeat against Chicago Wednesday night. The key to the Stars’ victory tonight was a four goal first period including two goals by Alex Chiasson.
The Stars opened the scoring just 2:47 into the opening frame as Alex Chiasson stuffed home a rebound off a Mike Hedden shot to give the Stars a quick 1-0 lead. Just 12 seconds later Austin Smith scored his first career AHL goal and gave the Stars a 2-0 lead just under three minutes into the game. At the 10:32 mark of the first Alex Chiasson struck again and made it a highlight reel worthy goal as he stepped around Chicago’s Andrew Gordon and sniped the puck right past the glove of Chicago goalie Matt Climie giving the Stars a 3-0 lead. Then at the 13:57 mark of the first Toby Petersen finished the Stars first period onslaught with his third goal of the season. That ended the night for Chicago goalie Matt Climie as he was pulled in favor of Joe Cannata. The Wolves then showed signs of life as Andrew Gordon scored on the power play shortly after Cannata entered and the first period ended with the score 4-1 Stars
The Wolves carried the momentum from the end of the first period into the second period. Michael Davies tipped a puck past Jack Campbell making the game 4-2 Stars. Mike Hedden struck back with a power play goal 12:41 into the second gave the Stars a 5-2 lead with his second goal of the season. At 16:52 Chicago captain Darren Haydar scored and the second period ended with the Stars ahead 5-3.
The third period became gritty as more of a checking game developed between the two teams. At 3:06 into the third period Taylor Vause put on a one man forecheck against the Wolves and then netted a wrap around and gave the Stars a 6-3 lead. Darren Haydar would score again at 9:34 into the third period and made the game 6-4 with a little over half the third period left to play. Chicago made offensive pushes but Jack Campbell and the Stars shut the door to secure a 6-4 win.
- Jamie Oleksiak had three assists on the night, in his first game since being sent down from the Dallas Stars, pushing his season point total to 20 (3g, 17a)
- Mike Hedden scored the game winner tonight which means Chicago goalie Joe Cannata took the loss tonight
- Chicago Wolves’ captain Darren Haydar was involved in all four goals for his team tonight as he had two assists along with his two goals.
- Richard Bachman was the backup for the Texas Stars tonight as he was sent down to get some playing time and Christopher Nilstorp will serve as back up in the NHL with the Dallas Stars
- The Texas Stars suffered their first lost in 2013 Wednesday night. Friday’s victory pushes their record to 7-1-0-0 in 2013
- Three Stars of the Game: 1. Alex Chiasson 2. Darren Haydar 3. Jamie Oleksiak