The end of a two game roadtrip for the Stars tonight in the Jobing.com Arena as they were scheduled to take on the Phoenix Coyotes for the fourth time with their great division record of 5-1-0. Last time the Stars met the Coyotes they were shutout 2-0, but the Stars offense has been potent as of late. The Stars would be without team captain Brenden Morrow who is out with a groin injury, entering into his spot in the lineup is Matt Fraser. The Stars had plenty of opportunities to take the lead in the game, but a slow start and the inability to finish on the powerplay cost them the game tonight.
Dallas got very little going offensively in the opening period as Phoenix dominated the time of possession in their zone. Dallas got six shots on goal, but Phoenix goaltender Mike Smith had little problem making the saves. The Coyotes got nine shots on Kari Lehtonen and one got by at the 16:59 mark of the period as Shane Doan finished off a play created by Antoine Vermette and Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who literally danced around the Dallas defense to create the goal. Dallas finished the first period behind 1-0.
Not much of a better start for the Stars in the second than in the first as Phoenix got the majority of the better scoring chances in the first ten minutes of the period and got their second goal of the game when Rob Klinkhammer scored his first career goal. At the second half of the period Dallas put more urgency into their game and started to put more pucks on net and made Phoenix take penalties. The Stars first goal came on the first of two 5 on 3 man advantages the Stars had on the game as Jaromir Jagr netted his tenth goal of the season and fifth on the powerplay. The second period ended with the Stars looking to take the momentum, but still trailing 2-1.
The Stars tried to tie the game and created many scoring chances including another 5 on 3 man advantage which the Stars had for 88 seconds and could do nothing with. The Stars could only get four shots on goal in the period and Mike Smith stopped them all. The Phoenix Coyotes defeated the Dallas Stars 2-1.
- Dallas’ record versus the pacific division now falls to 5-2-0.
- Jaromir Jagr has five goals in his four game goal streak.
- Scary moment at the end of the game for Stars fans when Jamie Benn was hit from his blindside by Martin Hanzal. Jamie Benn was down for a bit and needed assistance walking to the team dressing room. No penalty was assessed to Hanzal on the play
- The loss tonight now pushes Dallas out of the playoff picture as they fall to ninth in the Western Conference
- Doan’s goal in the first was his 31st while playing against the Stars, the most among any active NHL player.
- Stars continue to keep their penalties taken at a low as they only took two minors tonight.
- Three Stars of the game chosen by the Coyotes Broadcast Network: 1. Rob Klinkhammer 2. Mike Smith 3. Zbynek Michalek
- The Stars will have a few days off before they return to the AAC and face the Nashville Predators Tuesday, puckdrop at 7:30