Get used to seeing rinks like this one. (Photo: Natalie Litz/ Flickr.)
Yesterday a report was released that the Winter Classic between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the Big House will not be the only outdoor game of the 2013-2014 season. Instead, the plan is to start a “stadium series” which will include five more games taking place outdoors during the second half of the season.
Here is the proposed schedule:
• Anaheim Ducks vs. LA Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25
• New Jersey Devils vs. New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26
• New York Islanders vs. New York Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29
• Pittsburgh Penguins at Chicago Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1
• Ottawa Senators at Vancouver Canucks, BC Place, March 2
Rumor is the Devils and Islanders will be the home teams for the games at Yankee Stadium, while no word on who is the home team between the Ducks and Kings. The other two, the home team is obvious due to the location.
The difference between these games and the actual Winter Classic? These games don’t get the 24/7 treatment to our knowledge. (If they do, my reaction changes.)
» Continue reading “Why Have Only One Outdoor Game Per Season When We Can Have Six?”