Shane Doan, a key player in Game 2 (Photo: Bridget Sameuls/Flickr)
Phoenix leads series 1-0
8 p.m. NBC Sports Network, TSN
First game of the 2nd round is already done in the books and the Phoenix Coyotes won the game 4-3, despite being outshot and outplayed by the Nashville Predators. Ray Whitney led the Coyotes to the OT win; captain Shane Doan didn’t lead like Whitney, nor did Keith Yandle. Phoenix will look to continue to dominate the series, while the Predators attempt to even the score. The Coyotes have a few things to work on before their next match-up.
Five Improvements To Win Game 2
1. Winning in regulation: domination during the game is key to maintaining momentum.
2. Score reassurance goals and keep the lead. A one goal lead is never safe, the other series are proof.
3. Stop turning the puck over and work on not allowing too many goal-scoring chances on Smith. Spending more time in your zone is counterintuitive to gaining game momentum.
4. Mike Smith has to be on top of his game. He has been a key factor in the first round against the Blackhawks, where he showed his leadership abilities.
5. Shane Doan and other key Coyotes players like, Yandle, Vermette and Hanzal,need to pick up the scoring in order to win Game 5. Without secondary scoring in the playoffs, the Coyotes will only be keeping pace with the other team.
1. Martin Erat needs to keep his scoring momentum and pace for the Predators to win.
2. David Legwand and Mike Fisher need to making bigger statements in order for the Predators to achieve success.
1. Shane Doan, Keith Yandle and Antoine Vermette will have to start scoring more goals and assist when they need reassurance goals.
2. Mikkel Boedker must keep pace scoring for the Coyotes to become more of a threat, and advancement to the next round easier.
Dave Tippett is is looking to start Mike Smith for the Coyotes. Pekka Rinne will start for the Predators.
The Coyotes and Predators drop puck for Game 2 at 8 p.m. in Phoenix on the NBC Sports Network.