Lots of news coming from Glendale the past couple of days. I’m sure you are all paying close attention to the ownership issues with the Coyotes, right? No? Don’t blame you. The good news is we might, I emphasize MIGHT, be getting closer to a resolution. Yes we’ve all heard this before but stick with me.
Over the past month, there have been two groups trying to get signatures regarding issues that would affect the Coyotes. The first was a sales-tax initiative which would help bring in money to pay the managements fees to the owners (whoever they end up being) of Jobing.com arena along with other budget issues in the city. After reviewing the signatures and other paperwork submitted, Glendale rejected the group therefore the 0.7% sales-tax hike will stay in place.
The second has a direct impact on the team as a group was trying to get referendum against the arena vote last month, saying that the people should be allowed to vote on that. Unfortunately for them, that motion was also rejected due to not enough signatures being submitted along with the fact they were submitted late. (The city informed the group that signatures were needed on July 9th. The group felt they should have 30 days from when they received the paperwork which would be July 16th. As for the signatures, there seems to be a disagreement on which election should be the basis to derive the number from. Personally, I would go with what the city tells me but the group didn’t seem to agree with them.)
Both of these groups are looking into fighting further but it seems both may have hit a dead-end. If that is the case, the arena agreement stays in place and the NHL can continue to move ahead in selling the team to Greg Jamison. Wait, the team might actually be sold at some point? That’s what it’s starting to look like. Of course this can all change in an instant, as we are all too familiar with but Jamison is getting further than anyone has to this point.
With the team looking like it might stay, that brings us to Captain Coyote Shane Doan. Doan has been putting off his decision on where to sign for weeks now as his first wish is to stay in the desert. The hope among Coyotes fans is that these signs will convince their captain to stay. Personally, I can’t see him playing anywhere else so unless the team randomly picks up and leaves as the Thrashers did last year, he’s staying in Phoenix. (That’s just my opinion.)
That’s not to say he won’t have other options. Today, the following was brought up:
An eastern team offered him how much? They do realize he was on a deal that paid him $4.5/yr the past five years, his numbers have been going in the wrong direction and he’s over 35 which means his contract stays on cap no matter what, right? I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve to get paid. He is still a great player who I would love to have on my team but FOUR YEARS AT SEVEN POINT FIVE MILLION A SEASON? Take the money and run, Shane. Take the money and run.
Of course this started a fun discussion on blogs and twitter as to who that eastern team was. My guess (and this is purely MY GUESS) – Ottawa or Carolina, a.k.a. the two teams that wanted Nash, had the cap space to pay Nash, but Nash wouldn’t waive his no-trade clause to go to. Honestly, don’t think we’ll ever find out but I feel bad for the fanbase who’s GM offered that contract.
Finally, even more good news for the Coyotes. Brett MacLean tweeted the following late this afternoon:
It is amazing the technology we have today. A couple of weeks ago, he had no vital signs while lying on the ice and now he’s home and on the road to recovery. Whether he steps foot on the ice again or not, this is incredible news. I’m sure he’s far from 100% so everyone’s thoughts and prayers should continue to be given to this young man as he continues to recover. Get well soon MacLean!