Twenty four years ago today, Kevin Shattenkirk was born! Consequently, this seems like a perfect time to make a list of 24 awesome things about Shatty!
24 Super-Awesome Things About Kevin Shattenkirk:
1. Through six games this season, he leads in scoring amongst defensemen (on the team AND league-wide) with eight points, all of them coming from assists.
2. Also, he is currently +5 for the season. (Not that I put a lot of stock in +/-, but it’s a thing worth mentioning.)
3. He is America and so can you. USA! USA! USA!
4. But in all seriousness, he has played for the US National Development Team, with fellow Blue Ian Cole and Riverman Cade Fairchild.
5. He has also suited up for Team USA in the 2006 Under-17 and 2007 Under 18 World Junior Championships, and helped to bring home a silver medal each time.
6. In 2009 he played in the World Junior Championships where he served as an alternate captain and led all defensemen in scoring with nine points.
7. When the 2011 World Championships rolled around, Shatty was chosen to participate following his rookie season. The tournament sucked for the US, but Shatty had three points in seven games!
8. One time he knocked Joe Thornton flat on his butt. It was awesome.
9. In 2007-2008, he was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team while playing for the Boston University Terriers.
10. The next year (2008-2009) he helped the Terriers to the Frozen Four Tournament. BU went on to win the National Championship 4-3 in OT, in which he assisted on the title-winning goal.
11. In 2009 he was named a co-captain of the Terriers, but later when his counterpart turned pro, Shatty was left to become the first junior sole captain since 1961–62.
12. In addition to good defense, he brings an offensive upside.
13. Some great set-ups.
14. And pretty sweet shootout moves.
15. In 2011, he was one of 12 rookies to participate in the NHL All-Star festivities as he represented the Colorado Avalanche.
16. On February 9th, 2011, he was traded to the Blues and therefore joined a proud group that is commonly referred to as the St. Colorado Avalues. The Avalues name makes reference to the fact that the Avalanche and Blues have a habit of trading and shuffling players back-and-forth, as well as sharing many organizational similarities. Or at least, that’s my own conspiracy theory.
17. Mustache. Can’t help but love it. Best trash stache in the NHL, and any other league in my opinion.
18 One time he signed a baby. Yes, really.
19. During the lockout, Shatty played for TPS Turku of the SM-Liiga. He played 12 games and collected two goals and four assists in Finland before the lockout was resolved. Fellow Blue Kris Russell played for TPS as well.
20. But before leaving for Finland, Shatty played in the Cam Janssen Fights Sandy charity event to raise money for the first responders affected by Hurricane Sandy. Of course, the event was organized by former Blue and Native St. Louisian Cam Janssen.
21. I hear he looks pretty good in a cowboy hat.
22. Last Veteran’s Day, he visited St. Louis VA Medical Center with teammate Jamie Langenbrunner.
23. Two iconic Blues-related hashtags have originated with @shattdueces himself: #PeskyBlues and my personal favorite #Scotty2Hotty (Well, maybe he just re-purposed it to refer to the Scottrade Center, but we’ll still give him credit.)
24. He wears a weenie hat with dignity and class. And really, that’s the most important thing of them all.