Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the things we are grateful for, and perhaps in Atlanta’s case, remind them that even with a colossal collapse, it could be worse. So let’s get to appreciating what we have (in no particular order).
1. Jair Jurrjens and Martin Prado are still Braves. Although it was rumored that the duo was being shopped by the organization, no moves have been made, and it appears the rumors stemmed from other teams calling the Braves with interest.
2. The Braves have enough pitching to consider dealing Jair.
3. The Braves franchise is in too good of shape for Mark Cuban to be interested in purchasing them from Liberty Media. Cuban has said that he looks at organizations that need major revamping, and Atlanta does not fit the bill. So, no matter how much you may think or thought the Braves suck, it’s not enough for Cuban take a wrecking to the team.
4. Planking is so 27 seconds ago, but the National League Rookie of the Year has the next big craze- Kimbreling. Everyone, including fellow teammates are in on the action. Lean over, dangle your right arm, look for the sign, and have your picture snapped. It’s all over the internet, so if you want to be a cool kid, get to Kimbreling!
5. Minor league shortstop Tyler Pastronicky is close to be ready for prime time. That is at least the message that the Braves are sending by not offering Alex Gonzalez arbitration. Gonzalez was hands down the best defensive player on the team, but two years was too long to sign him for in the eyes of management. Translation, Pastronicky is close enough not to spend $6 million on the shortstop.
6. The Wild Card is expanding to two teams, so if the situations arises again, the Braves would make the playoffs this time.
7. Derek Lowe’s trade to Cleveland has freed payroll to make moves. Derek Lowe has been talked to death, not to mention bashed, so that is where we stop talking about that.
8. The team that edged out Atlanta for the last post season spot won the World Series, so there is a big portion of the country giving thanks to the Braves.
9. No matter how down you may be or how bad it seems, the Braves are not the Red Sox!
10. It’s only 134 days until baseball!