Some quick news and notes:
- Brandon Wilds won’t be in action, as he’s got an injured ankle and will miss time while that heals. It’s not clear how much time (Coach Sands said a week, Spurrier said two-three), though.
- Connor Shaw will be under center, because he seems to be fine after dealing with some back spasms that kept him out of practice last week. He’s ready to go and everyone’s confident that he’ll do well.
- Backup Sheldon Royster won’t see the field for the Gamecocks, because he’s decided to transfer. Best of luck, Sheldon!
- Qua Gilchrist is back on the offensive side of the ball.
- It’s still up in the air (ha!) as to who the punter will be on Thursday (either Patrick Fish or Tyler Hull).
- Kareem Auguste (Akeem’s brother) and Kane Whitehurst (you might remember his cousin Charlie…) have both walked on to the team.
Coach Spurrier had his first game week press conference tonight. Some highlights:
- “Marcus is ready to carry 25 or 30 times. Again I think Kenny (Miles) is such a good back (that) he should play a bit here and there. That’s where I think we need to go through the season also, but Marcus could carry 30 to 40 if we needed to.”
- “Usually the guys that catch in practice and the scrimmages, those are the guys you want in the ball game. D.L. [Moore] has done well.”
- “Shaq [Roland] is in line to play some. He’s done well in the scrimmages. He’s still learning here and there the offense, but he’s pretty much ready to go. Hopefully he’ll get in there several plays.”
- “Ronald Patrick looks like he’s ready to play. We were talking the other day and I think all five of our guys are 300 pounders. Mike Matulis at right tackle may barely be 300, but I don’t think we’ve ever had an all-300 pound line here. At times they look pretty good up there. At times we can play better.”
- “We’re expecting it to be very loud. We snap with our foot in the shotgun and don’t do a lot of vocal signals. Noise shouldn’t affect our team very much.”
The Cocks and the Dores kick off at 7 ET on ESPN. Check back tomorrow and Wednesday for Cocky Country’s game previews!