Happy Friday y’all. Before you start your day, let’s get you caught up on Thursday’s action in the preseason and the rest of the news around the NFL.
* The Philadelphia Eagles beat the Carolina Panthers 14-9 on Thursday. Nick Foles got the start for the Eagles this week after Mike Vick got the start in Week One of the preseason. Foles went 6-of-8 with 53 yards and an interception, while Vick completed 9-of-10 for 105 yards and an interception.
After the game, Chip Kelly said he is still not ready to declare a starting quarterback.
* The Chicago Bears beat the San Deigo Chargers 33-28 on Thursday. Jay Cutler looked shaky in a quarter of a play where he competed 4-of-5 passes for 38 yards and a touchdown.
* The Baltimore Ravens edged the Atlanta Falcons 27-23 after a 20-point fourth quarter. The highlights of the game was Torrey Smith’s 77-yard touchdown and Asa Jackson’s 78-yard punt return.
* The Cleveland Browns easily beat the Detroit Lions 24-6 on Thursday. Brandon Weeden had a strong start with two touchdowns passes and seems to be in control of the starting QB competition.
* Tom Brady returned to practice on Thursday after hurting his knee on Wednesday. According to NFL.com’s Albert Breer, Brady is expected to play in the Pats’ game on Friday against the Bucs.
* Mark Sanchez will start for the Jets on Saturday.
* Saints’ Jonathan Vilma had knee surgery, according to Adam Schefter, but is expected to be ready for the season opener.
* Coby Fleener has returned to practice after suffering a concussion in the Colts’ first preseason game, and is expected to play against the Giants on Sunday.